Learnt a difficult lesson at work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learnt a difficult lesson at work today

In my job I have 4-5 managers that can assign me work. Earlier in the week we got a communication from management about entering detailed descriptions on any time/absence/overtime requests. Shortly after I get a request from my direct manager to explain an overtime entry I had put in before he would approve it to payroll.

As I got the request to work overtime via instant message as opposed to email, I sent an email to my direct co-workers (the people doing the same job as me) informing them to make sure to get an overtime request in writing from a manager before agreeing to work the time because it appeared they were going to deny paying me for time worked. I was furious and attempted to track down my manager to discuss it with him, but as is typical he was at a meeting and not in his office for me to discuss it with him. As is also typical it was over an hour before he responded to my email, which was after I sent the email out to the coworkers.

Unfortunately the decision to send an email to my coworkers to warm them of possible hassles was stupid, as one of them today forwarded the email to one of the managers, at which point I was dragged into my direct managers office for an official ass-reaming. The couldn't officially discipline me because I didn't directly tell people to not do overtime, but they badly wanted to.

Lesson learned? Trust nobody you work with and never send anything that may contain a paper trail traceable back to you. I'm more sad than angry because I thought I could trust my co-workers, but I guess at least one of them wants to look like a hero to management.
    Last edited by Hellbat; 09-27-2012, 07:17 PM. Reason: added useless detail.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

yeeep. It always seems to be when you are trying to help people that you get the shaft. Happened to me, lost my job, all for being honest. Ok maybe painfully honest, but hey it was in the companies frigin motto, and i shoved that right up the managers ass. He didn't like it.

Comment

I thought Canadians were "nice"!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I see it too often.
        As an industrial safety hack-pro, near the bottom of the food chain but still responsible for over 100 people
        I sometimes get roped into "hazard assessments".
        Which really should be the task of a certified CSP (certified safety professional).
        So I go about it by asking every off-the-wall question I can possibly imagine while
        going through MSDS's (data sheets) and similar industry recommendations.

At some point someone throws all kinds of red flags suggesting I have no idea of what I'm doing.
        My boss, in the safety department...throws me under the bus by forwarding those messages up
        corporate chain without assisting.

My point?

Fuggem.
        I just go back to working with the guys doing the job and screw the potential legal
        BS.
        And think twice about sending ANY emails.

No documentation is no traceability back to me.
        The only emails that would be seen are those of me asking for the appropriate
        managers to perform the hazard assessments.
        If they didn't do it, then the ball is in their court, not mine.

Bottom line is I'm there to make sure we do it right by my research, and I don't
        end up in court over it.
        Last edited by Cygnus X1; 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Yup, I'm always pointing out training shortfalls and broken processes and all it gets me is heat turned back on me. From now on it's go in, do my shit, and leave. Since I'll never know who forwarded the email I officially trust nobody I work with now. If I see broken processes or ones that can be improved I stay shut up. I don't care to make things better and smoother for the people around me because one of them fucked me without even buying me a nice dinner first.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I've seen this shit a bunch of times. Hell I learning d not to trust coworkers at my first job during high school. If someone thinks they can move up or kiss ass by doing it they'll throw your ass under the bus in an instant. Get along, be cordial, trust no one.

At one job I became really good friends with a guy at work and outside work. We would help each other with work getting finished if one of us was behind. Little did I know that for almost a year of that he kept track of everything. Then went to the higher ups and managed to get me fired so he could get a raise and have all the work to himself. He soon got what was coming to him when I ran into him, several times with my fists outside a club one night.
            My Toys:
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
            '94 Dinky HX in Black
            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I thought you were gonna say you learnt "learnt" wasn't actually a real word....lol

Comment

I don't know of this world that you speak. I've been retired for 11 years. I'm out of the loop. I do NOTHING from my computer....except skeet all over you guys. I only own a free Obama cellphone, bedsides my old landline. I only use the Obama phone when I have to go out of the house ..pretty much never. I stand in line at the bank...actually I don't even if there is a line. I do everything in person..eyeball to eyeball...mouth to mouth...pen to paper. I lick stamps, and recieve mail..I make phone calls from landline. I don't know any other way.

I don't know how to text message someone. I refuse to leave my Email anywhere..and I'm not on FB, MS, twatter or any other dickhole shit.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hellbathory. Oh, yeah..people suckle balls. They are like baby birds, mouths wide open..fuzzy little sucklings.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I hate a coworker that rats out someone else.I've seen it a lot over the years.
                    We would always find out who the perp was and all the guys I worked with would fuck with him in a one on one setting say the bathroom with no one else in there or off the property.
                    We had one new hire truck driver that was back stabbing the other drivers so myself and two other drivers took him out between some trailers and made it clear he was going to get fucked up and he didn't look too good when it was all over.He fell in line after that.
                    Live and learn Hellbat.
                    Last edited by straycat; 09-27-2012, 11:36 PM.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've done 'destruction rituals' for member's co-workers. I will drag them thru 9 levels of my domain and copulate their face!

With our combined energy. We can smite this vermin!

Comment

You show them this thread. I will go there and make them suck my shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by rdamaral View Post
                          I thought you were gonna say you learnt "learnt" wasn't actually a real word....lol
                          Yeah apparently I am losing my ability to think or spell when in front of a computer screen.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            you show them this thread. I will go there and make them suck my shoe.
                            rofl

Comment

One thing I've learned. NO job, I don't care how much money you make, or don't make, is worth stressing over.

I realize that theory is often easier to say, then it is to apply.

At the end of the day, worry about yourself (as your suggesting), because when it comes down to, it EVERYONE is expendable. Don’t think for one second no matter how important you think your position is, that you can’t be replaced. You can, and I promise you they won’t give a fuck when you’re gone.

They won’t stress when you’re gone. Neither should you.
                              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Working...
                              X