Making a standing multiple guitar display case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a standing multiple guitar display case

Right now dimensions are 5ft tall x 4ft wide x 1.5ft deep. This will be standing upright with casters on the bottom for easy relocation in my gear room. The dotted lines are the working space within the case to layout the guitars. The ample space at the top I am thinking of adding a shelf to hold strings, tuners, cables, cleaning supplies, etc.

I am wanting some suggestions from you fine people about the following: I originally thought about just using guitar hangers. Then I thought when moving the guitars will likely swing about some & likely smack against each other. I also had an idea of making the plush lining form fitted. I like this idea but then what happens if I acquire a Les Paul, Star, Mockingbird or any shape other than the Rhoads, KV, or Strat/Soloist/Dinky. I think I have an idea for that which would involve custom foam pieces cut, covered with plush lining, & velcro to hold pieces in place. Then if a new shape appears I can relocate &/or make new pieces. I am ok with other suggestions as well on the above and anything else on the design.

Here is the general layout I have planned.
    Last edited by Hamner1; 10-30-2012, 11:52 PM.
    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

I'm liking the idea. You would want to keep the guitars away from the edges like at the top instead of close like you have at the bottom. The interchangable inserts make perfect sense to me, but you might want to make the case 5x5 instead of 5x4 since some shapes are considerably larger than other so the extra room might be handy in the future. You could even go as far as making the strings and tuners compartments hidden behind small doors that are covered to match so they would go unnoticed most of the time until you need to open them. Overall a great idea you have there. Be sure to post some pics as you make progress.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

slatwall the back of it then you can reconfigure how ever you want
      Haters gonna hate
      Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

i like it. my wife wants me to do something similar, based on a display we saw in a GC platnium room....except mine will be wall mounted with display lights instead of on a rolling cart.

what i am going to do is take a large board, cover it with black crushed velvet and then frame it with crown moulding. it will have 8 guitar hangers on it....wifey wants it on display in the living room!!! how cool is that??

regarding your idea...i like it. to help keep guitars from bashing into each other as you roll it around, maybe you could take regular guitar stands, cut the tripods off, and mount them from behind? or just take the bottom portion of a stand and use it to support the bottom of the guitar while the rest hangs from a wall hanger?
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          i like it. my wife wants me to do something similar, based on a display we saw in a GC platnium room....except mine will be wall mounted with display lights instead of on a rolling cart.

what i am going to do is take a large board, cover it with black crushed velvet and then frame it with crown moulding. it will have 8 guitar hangers on it....wifey wants it on display in the living room!!! how cool is that??
          old pics, but...I heard display case..

I found that I could actually fit 10 in there if I inverted the middle two, then repeated the pattern up top.

OP... make your rolling rack with 3 on the bottom and 2 inverted between them like I was saying, then you could fit 2 more above them if you face them toward each other sideways, like I had these....

If you hang them from hangers inside the rolling case and don't want them swinging into each other, put some rubberized brackets on the sides of the guitars like I have holding mine.

MOSHON
          DAVE
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Wow I am slow these days. I've been posting on the MTS forum & not here so much. Any here is where I am at/have been with this project.
            Pieces cut. I am using 5" slat pine wood.

Sides & back glued

Dry fit shots

The "floor" & "roof" are glued, but I thought I could get away with not bracing them. Not going to work, they have some flex in them that I don't want to fight with after putting this beast together. So Wednesday I'll brace them & then it will be ready for glueing, nailing & staining the case. Then I am off to NY later this week so inside treatment will have to wait a week or 2.
            Last edited by Hamner1; 10-31-2012, 12:03 AM.
            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Some update on the work. Unfortunately with weather & travel not a whole lot more done. I think I will move the compressor inside & this weekend maybe get this squared up, glued, & tacked. Add some trim to the opening to make it look better. I think if I can get that all done on Saturday, then maybe get some foam & plush installed Sunday. I'm probably being too optimistic though.
              I think I will be able to get 6 guitars in here with enough spacing so as not to smack them against each other. 4 facing flat & stagered, like in the 1st post, & 1 hanging on each end parallel to the ends. As if I need an excuse to get more Jacksons (SDX & RR planned already).

I think I am in need of rearranging things, so as not to blocl the cab. You can kind of see a little warping of the panels. The joy of working with these slats. But nothing a couple of ratcheting tie straps can't remedy.

Comment

Working...
              X