Who do you play for live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you play for live?

#1. I play for the girls. That has always been my focal point. I have been happily married with 3 kids for the last 23 years but I still play for the girls. Old, young, big, little.. it doesn't matter to me.
    #2. I play for any musicians that are in the crowd. I like to show them whats up.
    #3. There is no number 3.

Who do you play for?

Since there is no #3, I'll go with #4:

#4. I play for myself.

I do it because I love that rush that only playing in front of a crowd can give you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post

#4. I play for myself.

I do it because I love that rush that only playing in front of a crowd can give you.
      +1
      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Like Ward said.. #4, I play for myself.

And a little bit of of #1

Comment

i play live for the ability to share my music with others. i don't do any covers (maybe one, rarely...). it has always been about artistic expression. that is number 1. number two is the elusive "tits and fire". girls don't flash down here anymore, and since those fuckers in great white burnt that club down i can no longer have fire on stage, so it's all about number one now....
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I was going to call "WANKER" to anybody who posts that they play live for themselves! I should have included that in my initial post.

Ward

#4. I play for myself.

So, do you play for yourself or do you play for the rush of the crowd? If you truly played for yourself it wouldn't matter if anybody was at the show... as long as you were there.

Pretty smart... ain't I!!!

Comment

I used to play for the empowering Godlike feeling that always would hit me instantly.
              Everything else just naturally gravitated towards you.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                I was going to call "WANKER" to anybody who posts that they play live for themselves! I should have included that in my initial post.

So, do you play for yourself or do you play for the rush of the crowd? If you truly played for yourself it wouldn't matter if anybody was at the show... as long as you were there.

Pretty smart... ain't I!!!
                No.

The rush of playing in front of a crowd is one of the greatest feelings in the world to me. Much like a drug, but I have found no drug that compares. The reason I play live is to get that rush, that intangible feeling.

Playing for the 'rush' of the crowd is playing for myself. The rush of the crowd is a feeling I experience personally, so to say that I am playing for the crowd would be inaccurate. I am playing live in order to feel that electric feeling that I get when I am playing and there is a crowd watching. That wouldn't happen if I was the only one at the show.

I selfishly do it because of the feeling I get from it, but that feeling is dependent on whether or not there is an audience.

I play live because I get a rush from playing in front of a crowd. So, I am playing for my benefit. I am playing for me.

Comment

What Ward said.
                  "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                  I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I still don't like playing for or in front of other people. When I play all I can hear are my mistakes. People tell me I'm okay, but I still don't believe them.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Everytime I play live (which is just about every weekend), I always get compliments on how great of a guitar player I am. It really bums me out.
                      All the girls dig it too. They think I'm cool. When it comes to lead guitar, the better you play, the cooler you are.

I'm ICE COLD. I also rock a bad ass Harley.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                        No.

The rush of playing in front of a crowd is one of the greatest feelings in the world to me. Much like a drug, but I have found no drug that compares. The reason I play live is to get that rush, that intangible feeling.

Playing for the 'rush' of the crowd is playing for myself. The rush of the crowd is a feeling I experience personally, so to say that I am playing for the crowd would be inaccurate. I am playing live in order to feel that electric feeling that I get when I am playing and there is a crowd watching. That wouldn't happen if I was the only one at the show.

I selfishly do it because of the feeling I get from it, but that feeling is dependent on whether or not there is an audience.

I play live because I get a rush from playing in front of a crowd. So, I am playing for my benefit. I am playing for me.
                        I am calling a FOUL on this response.

There is no way.. no way.. no way in heck that you get the same rush playing for an empty club as you would for a packed house. C'mon bro.. come a little clean here!! Did you ever see that video showing the metal band playing for an empty club? They all have their heads down, they are going through the motions but not really putting anything into the performance. Suddenly, 3 hot girls walk past the stage. The band kicks into high gear, high kicks, spins, all kinds of movement, heads going, hair flying. Its a great video. Thats my point sort of.

We all play live for our own reasons but for the most part, our reasons are the same. Especially if you are in a hard rock or metal band.

If your single and young.. you are playing to get a record contract and to get laid
                        If your single and old.. you are playing to get laid
                        If you are married and young... you are frantically playing to get a record contract before your wife gets pregnant.
                        If you are married and old... you are playing because it gets you out of the house and you just can't give up the dream. That applies to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                          I still don't like playing for or in front of other people. When I play all I can hear are my mistakes. People tell me I'm okay, but I still don't believe them.
                          How would you like to be in my position, I don't make any mistakes, I am insanely good and almost a freak of nature on the guitar and when people tell me I'm great I don't believe they know what great really is. lol....

Comment

I played because I like being on stage.

It's really as simple as that.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              I am calling a FOUL on this response.

There is no way.. no way.. no way in heck that you get the same rush playing for an empty club as you would for a packed house. C'mon bro.. come a little clean here!! Did you ever see that video showing the metal band playing for an empty club? They all have their heads down, they are going through the motions but not really putting anything into the performance. Suddenly, 3 hot girls walk past the stage. The band kicks into high gear, high kicks, spins, all kinds of movement, heads going, hair flying. Its a great video. Thats my point sort of.

We all play live for our own reasons but for the most part, our reasons are the same. Especially if you are in a hard rock or metal band.

If your single and young.. you are playing to get a record contract and to get laid
                              If your single and old.. you are playing to get laid
                              If you are married and young... you are frantically playing to get a record contract before your wife gets pregnant.
                              If you are married and old... you are playing because it gets you out of the house and you just can't give up the dream. That applies to me.
                              Um, WHAT?

I specifically stated

"I am playing live in order to feel that electric feeling that I get when I am playing and there is a crowd watching. That wouldn't happen if I was the only one at the show."
                              and
                              "I selfishly do it because of the feeling I get from it, but that feeling is dependent on whether or not there is an audience."

And yet you paraphrased that to mean I 'get the same rush playing for an empty club as I would for a packed house'.

You can call foul all you want, but I didn't say what you inferred.

Comment

Working...
                              X