Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help - strange crackle noise when recording.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help - strange crackle noise when recording.

Title says it all. I get strange crackling noise while recording. Signal chain -> Guitar, cable, jamvox, pc (and some VSTs). What's the reason behind it ? Bad ground, bad audio interface, something else ? Also, please excuse my chug chug stuff, I had to show off the problem.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?k48rt4jowpkqpqj

Cubase, I had a similar problem that cleared up when I reduced the line in signal. Maybe give that a try?
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

tried it on software - didn't work. Jamvox has no line-trim control. Also, if I do plam muted chord and let it sustain (lol), I hear feedback noise.

Comment

Sometimes mucking with latency settings can clear that type of stuff up. Not familiar with the hardware to be able to tell you where to look for that though.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

BUMP, problem still presists. Any more ideas ?

Comment

Originally posted by Iivari View Post
            BUMP, problem still presists. Any more ideas ?

If you are using the USB connection, it may be latency issues. Try recording your guitar without any VST's enabled. I listened to the recording you posted. Is the distortion coming from a VST, or the Jamvox? You also may want to consider another DAW such as Reaper. With Reaper, I don't have any of the issues I had with Cubase, etc...
            1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
            1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
            2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
            2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
            2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
            2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
            1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
            2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
            2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
            1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

I'm using Lepou Lecto for distortion (it's a VST), Jamvox acts like an audio interface. And I use reaper, just so you know. That crackling noise happens with others software too, so I have no idea what to do.

Comment

Usually it's your line in levels as Jayster said.
                Also if you PC can't handle the load it will crackle up, like too many Effects running in the DAW when you are recording (EQ Reverb ect).
                Record your basic tracks as bare bones as you can with just your distortion and add that stuff after, or even record them clean and dry of anything and check the sound quality.
                Just like in a live rig you might have to go thru it one piece at a time to find the culprit.

Comment

Working...
                X