The most important part of a song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most important part of a song

its the hook. The goal when you are writing a song is to get to the hook as quickly and as interestingly as possible. Once you sink the hook (a fishing phrase), get out of the song as interestingly as possible. Also... there is nothing wrong with your original songs all having musical commonality to them. After all, you are writing them all and they should sound like you. Don't try to force your songs to all sound completely different from one another. Thats how you find your writing style.

John, I think Phil Anselmo is a moron, but a pretty cool singer. But that's not here nor there.

I like what he said in some bs thing I saw on TV. He said something to the effect while forming Pantera. That every band has that "money riff"..where everyone goes crazy. So, let every riff be the money riff. So that's what they went for. I'm definitely on with that!

Yes, it's all about hooks..but groove is just as, or more important IMO..even if chuggin' a stupid chord. I noticed during technical flourishes..you'll have maybe 5-10 grinning dudes..with arms crossed, standing there . But, as soon as you start o' chuggin' ..everyone runs in like fuckholes.

All killer, no filler.

But, the crux of your question is the intro...intially. People have ADD..you have 20-30- seconds to grab 'em ..or..no.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
    X