The new Vai - The story of light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Vai - The story of light.

Vai has always been a tremendous influence on me but still, I'll keep it short n sweet.

Listening to the new Vai for about the 5th time. It’s growing on me. He’s got some great new tones to be sure. His tone sounds like Vai, but, better Vai (new pickups!?). A few highlights I think are “John the Revelator” and "Gravity storm" (some sweet licks). I have nothing horrible to say about it. To me, it just sounds like VAI. Nothing more. There’s nothing really different about it. It has the "Steve, what are you doing?" moments and it has "shredding - WTF Steve?" moments as well. If you’re a Vai fan then you’re going to dig this new stuff. If you’re not a Vai fan, I’m not sure this will be enough to make you one. For that, I would check out "Passion and Warfare". If that album doesn't make you a Vai fan then you’re never going to be one.
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

the guy is in total control of his instrument, it's really sick whenever he plays. he's on a whole other level.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Is this out now? I was checking itunes last week when I grabbed the Testament and didn't see it. From all the magazine articles I read it seems like this one is a little bit of the 'avant garde' Steve. I'm thankful there will be fewer vox than the last Real Illusions album.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm tabbing the guitar parts out as we speak while my laundry is in the dryer

Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

Yeah looks like it hit itunes yesterday. I've got it on my phone now but won't really be able to check it out until I get home. I'll need to serve my addiction to the Jam Tracks app first though.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

^^^The above tune is pretty crazy! Gonna get this new Vai release! Thanks for sharing

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
            the guy is in total control of his instrument, it's really sick whenever he plays. he's on a whole other level.
            Absolutely. He's kinda out of this world in the guitar world.
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Not getting at the moment but its Vai.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

After I watched these vids, I looked up the new previews and I heard Gravity Storm last week and was all smiles for the first time in a long time while listening to something. he is a fucking monster.

MOSHON
                DAVE
                "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post

After I watched these vids, I looked up the new previews and I heard Gravity Storm last week and was all smiles for the first time in a long time while listening to something. he is a fucking monster.

MOSHON
                  DAVE
                  He IS....a fuking monster....if there ever was one....
                  -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I like that girl interviewing him. :o

Steve Vai also has a vocal cadence a lot like Christopher Walken. :o

That was a really good interview. Steve is a fucking hippie. haha. That was great to watch.
                    Last edited by xenophobe; 08-16-2012, 08:12 AM.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that Steve is too good ? His playing great, but I don't really get his music, very Zappa influenced ,very out there.

Comment

I saw him last night, amazing show!!! That guy just destroys and sounded amazing live. I was fortunate enough to meet him and get a DVD signed and snap a picture with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse Called War View Post
                          Am I the only one who thinks that Steve is too good ? His playing great, but I don't really get his music, very Zappa influenced ,very out there.
                          I love Zappa, and you're right , you can here his influence in Steve's playing, but the beauty of music is that while some may think him too good,
                          others may not like him at all, it's personal taste ya know. The truth in the end though, is that all, or most of the glory goes to those who can
                          write catchy tunes, no matter what style of music it may be, and Vai, although as technically proficient as anyone may be in the history of the instrument,
                          will never get praised nearly as much in general as he does by people like us who play and recognize his ridiculous ability, like his tunes or not.
                          Although technically he can cut just about anyone's head right the fuck off, play any kind of style of music, sight read, compose, etc. etc., he's a 12 tool player,
                          but he'll never get the glory of a Van Halen, or Hendrix, Beck, Page, etc. or whomever sold trillions of records. The guy knocks me out everytime though.

Comment

my point being, when you're as good as Steve Vai is, many don't understand or get it so to speak, thus qualifying him in my
                            book as a wonderkind genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse Called War View Post
                              That's what's great about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X