Humidity, Damp Damp Damp and the feckin Jetstream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity, Damp Damp Damp and the feckin Jetstream

Probably hard to understand as I appreciate there is a drought heatwave dustbowl going on in the USA, but over here in the UK its hasn't stopped raining for four months and a lot of places are underwater.

Indoor relative humidity is 78-82% all day every day, every night.

Everything stinks like its starting to rot and I'm concerned about the guitars. Some necks that only warp in winter have warped out of all proportion, never seen them so bad.

Open the windows and its 90-100% relative humidity outside, it just increases it. Turning on the central heating does reduce it as its convection wall mounted radiators that are fierce and really dry the place out, you can see the humidty dropping on the gauges. But temperature is OK as it is, a comfortable - 62-68F

I have been here before but at this time of year it should be blazing inside and really low humidity, well at least around 40-50%.

Problem is I live in a big open plan flat, no rooms, 77 square metres of open plan flat and when its hitting 82% with no no cavity walls I think I should do something.

Would a cheapo portable dehumidifier/air conditioner cope with this sort of air space? And what are the running costs, I mean compared to just baking myself with the gas convection radiators? Aren't these things like 500W minimum and left on all day and night? That is like a floodlight. Electric is well expensive.

Should I be worried about the guitars with poly paint and q/sawn necks about 82% humidity inside anyway at only 62-68F?

I'm waking up with aching joints and pneumonia lung complications but it does keep your skin looking good apparently. Thing is the dust mites and wildlife are gonna start moving in soon.

What do you people do who live in humid areas? feckin damp dismal country this is.

BTW, they say the jet stream is moving next week...apparently, don't know where its moving to so hopefully you'll get some rain.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

It's been really humid here too (still waiting for the summer to start)... interested in hearing good advice regarding this as well.

Comment

Sorry, I live in what was once green but is now desert. At least your countryside is nice to look at!

Comment

I see your problem - you just live too close to France. Put loads of silica gel in your guitar cases.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
          I see your problem - you just live too close to France. Put loads of silica gel in your guitar cases.
          or a dehumidifier.

fuckin jetstream.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Silica gel, and paper products. Buy up all the tampons and crack rags and let them do their moisture-absorption thing for your guitars. Just avoid chicks for another month or so and everything else should be back to normal.

You might be able to find something known here in the States as Damp Rid. It's a bucket of something that's supposed to be used in basements to absorb excess moisture in the air. No idea how long they last or how much they cost, but I seen 'em on TV

Window-mounted fans that circulate the air (preferably blowing it and the moisture out the window rather than into the room) might work, however the really effective ones are very large and I'm sure very pricey.

Maybe grow some hothouse tomatoes, mushrooms, and some pot to offset the electric bill cost
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'll come over and slather a 5 gal Bucket'o Ugl all over the place.

My air won't turn off. Today, is the first time it got to 70 degress in my house. I'll start to panick when it hit 71 degrees.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

the climate out here is perfect as always, it's pretty ridiculous actually, mind blowing,
                cozy as a motherfucker. i feel for you guys.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                  This.

Comment

I had a dehumidifier in my basement, but it finally shit the bed. They do work when properly sized, and this does sound like an application for a dehumidifier. But, will you get enough use out of it after this weather event to justify the cost? If you can hook up the hose attachment, you can just let it run and run without having a pan that fills up.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                      the climate out here is perfect as always, it's pretty ridiculous actually, mind blowing,
                      cozy as a motherfucker. i feel for you guys.
                      Yeah, but you're bat-shit crazy, so there could be lava flowing down the street and zombie jetpack velociraptors that shoot lasers from their eyes and breathe fire on every rooftop for all we know
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I believe in Steven Wright method put a dehumidifier and aimed humidifier in the same room close the door and let them fight it out.
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                        X