I think I'm done for awhile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm done for awhile

Maybe it's the season or maybe I'm just bored, but, I've lost interest the acquisition of guitars lately.

Not the playing, as much, but the finding, getting, trading etc etc.

Anyone else go through this? Does it pass? Maybe I'm finally satisfied with the collection?
    Lately, I've been interested in camping and offroading, though I bring a guitar and vox travel amp when I stay out.

It feels strange.

CSB I guess...
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

GAS never passes. It will come back, and when it does you better be ready for it because it will hit you like a tonne of bricks.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

it passed for me a long time ago when I was entirely happy with my tone, amps, cabs and guitars. I have even attempted to downsize to simply without any luck as of yet. I recently bought a LP Trad plus and is my first ever LP after beginning guitar in high school. I've been over GAS for years and years. The only thing peaking my interests these days is the new YJM Marshall heads and a Black Beauty Les Paul Custom. My penalty to myself for not obtaining either right now is my own laziness. I have way too much stuff right now and need to sell some stuff first. Until I move some stuff, I don't get anything new
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
        it passed for me a long time ago when I was entirely happy with my tone, amps, cabs and guitars. I have even attempted to downsize to simply without any luck as of yet. I recently bought a LP Trad plus and is my first ever LP after beginning guitar in high school. I've been over GAS for years and years. The only thing peaking my interests these days is the new YJM Marshall heads and a Black Beauty Les Paul Custom. My penalty to myself for not obtaining either right now is my own laziness. I have way too much stuff right now and need to sell some stuff first. Until I move some stuff, I don't get anything new
        "No no, I'm cool. Sometimes I want a hit, but most of the time I don't. When and if I go back it will be on my terms. I've been off the stuff forever and have no interest, except that one time recently, which doesn't really count. And I am planning on hitting some real specific shit soon, but that's because I want to, not because I have to. Just gotta sell some shit first. An addict wouldn't sell anything, he'd just do it all himself!"

Comment

Translated confessions of a gear-o-holic relative to some substance? I have the same problem. I'm done spending for awhile though unless its an exceptional cool deal. Oh wait, I think I just fell into the above.

Comment

I'd keep the GAS going if I could, but it seems like all the current sellers on the bay who list cool vintage J/C's aren't that serious about selling (based upon the crack smoker prices). It seems like it's been this way since the beginning of the year.

Comment

My problem is I have enough in the stable but I'm unwilling to let anything go to make room, even for upgrades.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

yeah the acquisition phase for me ended a few years sago...i enjoy playing them a lot more than buying them...but then again im weird...lol...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

As soon as i got my Elite KV my perpetual GAS was satisfied as well... But now i've been eyeing up components for a new rig... The quest never ends!
                  It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                  ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

It's not a matter of GAS going away, but actually being fulfilled by a particular instrument or combo.

I went through the mad rush of Jacksons and Charvels, at one point I owned over 15 at one time. I weeded them all out until I came out with a top three, then had to sell the other two to pay bills. So I have my #1. My #2 is back with the person I purchased it from and if they ever sell it, I'll get first dibs. Currently searching for a new #2. My new custom order. I hope it fills that need.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Ive lost pretty much all desire for my gear AND the playing since I quit my band. Guess I was more burned out on it than I thought. Yeah, I just picked up a DK2M, but it has hung in the stand pretty much untouched since I brought it home.

Ill probably get back into it sometime in the future. Ive been here before, so Id say its a normal thing. Probably why they find rockstars dead in hotel rooms, theyre burned out and want to get away, but cant, so they abuse drugs.

Ive found other things to consume my time lately, work, family(should have been doing that before), and my bike.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I go back and forth between money on my car and money on guitars. Can't support both at the same time. When I informed my better half that I bought one of the elite soloists she asked when i was going to start making some money with the stuff I already have, lol.
                        My Toys:
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                        '94 Dinky HX in Black
                        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                          she asked when i was going to start making some money with the stuff I already have, lol.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I go back and forth between money on my car and money on guitars. Can't support both at the same time. When I informed my better half that I bought one of the elite soloists she asked when i was going to start making some money with the stuff I already have, lol.
                            That says to me everything that is wrong with a relationship. They are all bloody nagging mothers at heart, wanting for a stable home cast by their mould. I couldn't handle that. Still she probably has a point though, my USA production Charvels have gone UP in value around £100 in a year, that's like 20%. You wouldn't get 1% interest in a bank right now. Still I'm glad I never have to as I never willingly will.

Fuck that, I have no time for women and metrosexual mates who tell me I am an idiot for sinking all my money into my Transit tipper pick truck, or guitars, or amps, put your money in a big house etc.. My life is great thankyou very much and I find idiots like myself who would rather buy a guitar than put food on the table way more interesting. I'm lucky to have a creative but physical job and I am able to just about support a guitar habit and my truck. We all live and die and what you fill it with inbetween is insignificant so it can be anything. The whole concept is ridiculous anyway.

When I get down and feel the years are passing too quick, like that feeling when you get a birthday and think, Fuck how old, I am wise enough to know by the end of the year I am gonna be thinking, fuck, that was still so young...fuck how old am I. But I look at couples with kids, they don't even get a change to reflect, its just wall to wall crazyness and destruction. Its an endless meaningless cycle so why not fill it with the things that make you happy. Cars, guitars, perfecting your creative and building skills on the way....beer what else is there? I just aspire to get some guitars that are perfect for my needs and look and play the way I want them. Not a big collector, but when I get an idea in my head it has to be realised to perfection or I am eternally restless, which is most of the time.

It will come back....one day you're random thoughts will flip a new angle on it and it will come back...I couldn't ever imagine not wanting to pick up a guitar though, its like some kind of magic lantern, there are so many sounds and tones and paths to nirvana just in those couple of bits of wood with some strings on them. I have all these little worlds in my head and the only way to reach them is by playing guitar, designing and landscaping, or modding my truck. I can't get to them by having a glass of wine out at a restaurant over dinner or buying an Ipod or a new piece of furniture or tweleve pints of Stella and ten shots like some people seem to do. The stuff I yearn for you can't buy in any shop. Right now I'm getting into pickups and modding amps.

Maybe that is the key, its not the guitars that disinterest you, it's your perception towards them needs to go up a level. But don't worry, that will pass and it will come back, either way you are fucked. At the end of the day its just a couple of bits of wood, but then living is just a few cells reproducing each day. Rest assured, the pragmatism will pass. There is always a new completely pointless idea to be had on the horizon that will burn hole in your pocket and empty your bank account, even if it doesn't involve guitars.
                            Last edited by ginsambo; 07-07-2012, 03:41 AM.
                            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                            X