My review of the ATL Def Leppard/Poison/Lita Ford show 6/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My review of the ATL Def Leppard/Poison/Lita Ford show 6/29

It was the hottest day of the year, an estimated 105. So, I didn't really worry about getting there in time to see Lita Ford. Instead we gorged on wings and beer and a local pizza joint.... After getting dropped off at the venue, we heard the end of Lita's set(Close my eyes then it aint no big thing). I laughingly agreed with her as she sang it aint no big thing, our time was much better spent in the beer line. At 12$ a beer, I immediately knew this was going to be an expensive evening!

The Poison set was interesting to say the least. I'm not into Poison or even a fan, my wife is.... First - Every song Brett Michaels said something about Atlanta Ga (2x), by the 3rd song he upped the anty. In an intro to Unskinny bop(ad libbed I think) he said it 14 more times, I lost count around here(but it was ridiculous). I've never seen Poison before and again I'm not personally a fan(what that means is I've never seen CC before either). His playing was fair, the rhythm's were tight ~ his leads were blech(they would've been far better if he could bend in tune, no joke! Every bend was under/over target). This was at least made better by the fine crowd around us.

Saggy breasts, stretch marks and bad tattoos everywhere.... And then there were the women too. Amusingly a couple that were very unappealing, were dry humping on the ground next to us... Eventually, the venues mall cops came over and asked them to stop. Judging by the crowd, it is no surprise that hair metal died(it needed too! I tried to remind myself that 20 years ago maybe these people were less of everything that is unappealing). My favorite point during Poison was where after they starting playing 'talk dirty to me', you could pick out every heffer that had previously worked as a stripper before.... Good times!

After an excessive amount of time for tear down/set up Def Leppard finally took the stage.

Wow, they sounded very tight and insanely polished. There was not an analog signal on anything, incredibly processed in every way. I'm a fan of over the top tube sound with feedback warts and all(this was not that kind of show).

Phil Collen really impressed me, he is a better guitarist than I had though from listening to the albums. Flawless playing in every way, just like Vivian Campbell. Viv was spot on in every way, but also sterile - like he was just a hired gun - not into it at all(still, flawless playing)...
    Aside from including about 10-15 minutes of an acoustic medley, they played some great selections from their catalog. We didn't hang around for their whole set, wanted to beat the traffic and all...

So we texted our ride, and then watched a few more songs( gods of war/let's get rocked). During 'let's get rocked'(NOT one that I like), we decided to hit the rest rooms... As I waited on Traci, a couple of janitors had struck up a conversation near me. (overheard) HER ~ it's so disgusting. HIM ~ when folks is drunk and its so hot theys gonna throw up - everywhere..... Hahahahahahahaha, Good times!

So now we're walking out through the front parking area to meet our ride, when <CRASH>.
    We heard the accident about 30 feet in front of us, as we walked up on it we saw that 3 cars had been involved. With the police posted at every exit, I was sure someone's night just turned very unpleasant....

Overall it was fun, BUT I'm ready for the LoG show coming up!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Last edited by Jayster; 06-30-2012, 08:05 PM.
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

I may be mistaken, but that LoG show may be put on hold due to some recent manslaughter charges.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Pictures? lol
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
        I may be mistaken, but that LoG show may be put on hold due to some recent manslaughter charges.
        What?
        Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
        LTD EC401VF
        Gibby Les Paul
        Ibanez RG220D O Natural
        Fender Parts Caster
        Oranger Tiny Terror Head
        2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
        TU2 Tuner
        Dunlop Cantrell Wah
        Fulltone 70's Fuzz
        Fulltone Distortion Pro1
        Fulltone Mosfet 2
        Fulltone OCD OD
        Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

Sorry you had to endure that day/night. I couldn't pick three worse bands to see
          Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
          LTD EC401VF
          Gibby Les Paul
          Ibanez RG220D O Natural
          Fender Parts Caster
          Oranger Tiny Terror Head
          TU2 Tuner
          Dunlop Cantrell Wah
          Fulltone 70's Fuzz
          Fulltone Distortion Pro1
          Fulltone Mosfet 2
          Fulltone OCD OD
          Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

Originally posted by chuckbat View Post
            What?
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18663250
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Damn that sucks for LOG. Randy's a dick, but it sounds like an unfortunate accident. Fans do dumb shit sometimes. Where was the security? Was the crowd allowed to be onstage? Who knows? Another black mark for metal. Hope they come through it ok.
              Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
              LTD EC401VF
              Gibby Les Paul
              Ibanez RG220D O Natural
              Fender Parts Caster
              Oranger Tiny Terror Head
              TU2 Tuner
              Dunlop Cantrell Wah
              Fulltone 70's Fuzz
              Fulltone Distortion Pro1
              Fulltone Mosfet 2
              Fulltone OCD OD
              Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

Would agree with most of this from experiencing the same show last night in Cincinnati, OH.

Lita sounded pretty good to me out in the cheap seats (lawn) A bit too much delay in the vocals for a couple tracks but better than I could do

Poison is always a blast to watch. I deeply enjoy their show, but was never a fan of theirs back in the day. I saw them last year when they came out with Motley Crue and it was a fun show then too. Agree with above, CC's solos were all over the map.

Def Leppard sounded amazing IMO. Very tight. It was like listening to their album. Good times. Phil had what seemed like 20 guitars. Like a different one every song almost. It was awesome. Still can't get behind that PC Supreme body shape though...

Comment

So, er, Jayster, you bought tickets for a gig, missed the opening act and fucked off before the end, AND paid $12 for a beer? Yep, sounds like a great night out.

Them old heffer strippers sound appealing though...
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Hey Lita rocked it back in the day. I think i saw her open for Yngwie... oh yeah and i got a blow job from this chick i brought during her set, heh.

Comment

Working...
                    X