X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one try Dr. Neon strings?

I was dicking around online today and came across these guitar strings

HERE

I've use Dr. strings before, but these are a new neon coated guitar string. I usually don't like coated strings, but I have to admit, these look pretty cool.

I was wondering if anyone tried any on their jacksons/charvels?
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

yes, i have them on my ibanez 25th S. i hate them!!!! i have always used EB .009s, and the DRs feel VERY different. the coating is holding up rather well. i am gigging the guitar, and the stringd are still neon green...
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

They are okay. The coating is not noticable but quality can be variable. I've had sets of their string where the coating just flakes off like crazy from the minute it's on and others where nuclear war wouldn't scratch them.

In the end, my strings wear out from stretching well before corrosion sets in so I've gone back to uncoated models.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I prefer d'addario strings on all of my guitars, but I just thought these looked cool for gigs. If they have a weird feel or have a shitty sound, I wouldn't buy them though...

Comment

Nope, they sound just like equivalent XL's. Feel is a little different, but not tons. Best thing to do is try a set.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm not really a fan of coated strings, after trying elixirs, but I heard these don't have that kind of feel. I might pick up some neon orange ones (if I get the urge) for my dk2m bengal and see how they sound and look

Comment

I'll ask my local shop if they got any in 10's.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                yes, i have them on my ibanez 25th S. i hate them!!!! i have always used EB .009s, and the DRs feel VERY different. the coating is holding up rather well. i am gigging the guitar, and the stringd are still neon green...
                If you hate them why not change them? :think: Or is it purely for the stage presence?

Comment

laziness, really....they work, so i will change them when they need it.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I was reading a review on amazon from some guy and he says the high e string constantly breaks on these dr. neon strings. He says he bought 4 sets and the high E and B strings keep breaking within days.

Is he just a dipshit or have you had the same problems with these?

Comment

Originally posted by Maiden89 View Post
                      I was reading a review on amazon from some guy and he says the high e string constantly breaks on these dr. neon strings. He says he bought 4 sets and the high E and B strings keep breaking within days.

Is he just a dipshit or have you had the same problems with these?
                      I havn't used these to say for sure, but usually things like this are caused by a sharp bridge saddle or poor picking technique, and the user will opt to blame the strings.
                      Last edited by Whoopu2; 06-21-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I've never had breakage issues personally, just delamination of the coating along the whole unwound string.

My store has told me that they have had occasions with what seems to be a 'bad batch' where they had a lot of complaints/returns due to breakage. (Keep in mind at this point I'm referring to Tite-fits and not coated ones.) They haven't mentioned the issue again since then, so I think it was a single shipment kind of thing.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I tried out some Red Devils at some point and they just felt weird, the strings felt dull and matte. They didn't sound bad, but not that great either - just a tad dull. Then again it's not necessarily because of the coating; i've tried a lot of different DR strings and come to the same conclusion about all of them; they're shit. You really have to dig into them to get any tone whatsoever, they break too easily and don't sustain for shit.
                          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I have DR black beauties on my two Jackson's but I think the coated strings affect pinch harmonics somewhat......
                            Jackson KV2
                            Jackson KE1T
                            Jackson KE1F
                            Jackson SL1

Comment

Working...
                            X