Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a rubber on my body

Good afternoon,
    I'm tinkering with a Johnson strat copy. Its a lefty for one of my friends. I had visions of active pickups and a bunch of decent off brand stuff, but he lacks the funds. So here is my latest idea....When redoing the body, I want to coat it with some spray on rubberized coating, then just paint over that. Does anyone know of potential issues? Seems like there would be a chance that it might improve the sound.

Sounds like you'd be introducing a coating that damps vibrations and would kill sustain, but that's a fully uneducated opinion.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I could be wrong, but my thought was that the coating would help make the guitar body more solid, and cause less body vibrations. Therefor increasing string vibrations.

Comment

You want the body to vibrate, that's a good thing.
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Vibration is what causes sustain, coating it would not help it.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

So let me get this straight, youre wanting to know if you can put a rubber on your friends Johnson? He cant do it himself? Its your life dude.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              So let me get this straight, youre wanting to know if you can put a rubber on your friends Johnson? He cant do it himself? Its your life dude.
              I knew someone was going to say something like this at some point, can't believe it took this long!

Comment

This is the worst idea I've heard all day (to say nothing of the aforementioned homoerotic overtones).

Comment

hmm, now I'm thinking about Plastidipping one of my bodies as a refin

Comment

Ok. So it seems like a resounding no. Glad I asked first. Now he just gets airbrush. I would assume plastidipping would be a negative too.

Comment

I am serious about plastidipping one of my bodies. The stuff just peels right off, so there's no loss in trying. I need to get a few cans to do my jeep rims anyway, so I'm sure I'll have enough left over to spray a body with a couple of coats.

Comment

Have fun with that, Codex. It's your time and money that will be wasted. As has been pointed out above, you're going to kill the sustain of the guitar. The stuff is great for recoating tool handles and coating truck beds but has no place on a guitar.
                        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

It's a cheap DKMG that was smashed PeteTownsend style that was glued back together. I'm not too worried about sustain on that one
                          I have 9 other guitars I can grab if I really need sustain. Besides, I'm not some rock star god who makes a living off of my awesome tone for fanbois to drool over.
                          As for time and money wasted...I already have the cans for my rims, so no extra money spent and it will take what? 10 - 15 minutes to throw on 2 or 3 coats? I'll try not to lose sleep over my wasted money and time

Comment

Let me know how it works. I still think it could improve sound honestly. The bridge is still in the wood, so it vibrates the same......possibly. Only one way to tell

Comment

I can't see it being any different than say putting a vinyl wrap on the body. 3 or so coats of plastidip is still such a thin layer that I can't imagine it would effect sound in any way.

Comment

Working...
                              X