Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Posting photos/photography skills thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting photos/photography skills thread?

Maybe there's a thread on this already that i'm not finding, or maybe some external links that would help me out as far as digital cameras and techniques some of you use when taking guitar photos. Some of them are just amazing shots, and then i see my cell phone shots and cringe. Is it possible to take those quality shots without going the whole DSLR route?
    2011 Godin Summit CT
    2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
    2006 Jackson DK2 TB
    1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
    2000 LTD H-307
    2003 LTD MH-301
    2011 PRS SE 245

Yes, you can get great photos from a point and shoot digital too. The best trick is lots of indirect, diffuse light.

Lots of good info on the podcasts here... http://kelbytv.com/dtowntv/

It's targeted at DSLR shooters but has lots of general photography tips. Most modern point and shoot digital cameras will let you manipulate the controls in some ways but ideally you are going to want one with as many manual settings as possible. You are going to want to learn about how shutter speed and exposure (f-stop) affect the end photo becuase thats how you control what is (and isn't) in focus in the shot.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Nikon P510. I'll check out the podcast.
      2011 Godin Summit CT
      2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
      2006 Jackson DK2 TB
      1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
      2000 LTD H-307
      2003 LTD MH-301
      2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

Someone else besides me who actually has (or had, in my case) the import Y2KV

See?? I wasn't making it up!
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          shutter speed and exposure (f-stop) affect the end photo becuase thats how you control what is (and isn't) in focus in the shot.
          F-stop is the aperture as it pertains to the focal length and size of the exit pupil, not exposure. Just saying. ;D

Are you looking to get a new camera? Micro 4/3's is catching on, it's a mirrorless smaller camera format with interchangeable lenses. It does not have a mirror or shutter and you need to compose using a range finder type veiwfinder or live view on an LCD, but you get DSLR results.

If you haven't bought a camera yet, there are sites like dpreview.com or imaging-resource.com that has in-depth camera reviews. If you want more artistic control, I'd suggest getting a Canon G12 or G1x. They're much smaller than DSLRs and they don't have interchangeable lenses, but do offer relatively easy full manual control.

It's really hard to recommend a camera without knowing your budget and how serious you are about photography as a hobby.

I love my Canon 5D2, but I often just grab a pocket camera unless I'm specifically going on some kind of photo trip.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

ask Endrik, he takes pro shots, he's very talented at it.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
            X