Top 5 most iconic riffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
    Thanks guys and gals. Hopefully now more of you understand my personal respect for Dime. I'm not trying to take respect away from any other artist and I hope one of you think that. In fact I hope that my writing will open up a lil room for respect of Dime at least as a person.

P.S. - I'll edit my post above and break it into paragraphs for you.
    Yea, Dime was cool and a good player and everybody has their favorites for one reason or another. It doesn't necessarily translate into who the best player is or who wrote the best songs or who is in the best band. Its a personal thing.
    I know metal dudes that don't like Pantera. I know metal drummers who think that Lars from Metallica sucks. I know metal guitar players who think that Malmsteen is a fat donut eating wannabee. I know metal guitar players who don't even know who Uli Jon Roth is!
    I know guitar players who never heard of Shawn Lane or Guthrie Govan and think that Prince is one of the best lead guitar players who has ever lived. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      I know metal drummers who think that Lars from Metallica sucks.
      Dude, Lars is horrible. Seriously, I've never once been even mildly impressed by the guy and his drum sound continues to get worse and worse on every successive album.

Just my opinion though.

Comment

Hey Mark, I think everything above is quality riffage but I don't think any of it could be considered "Iconic". Here are 2 examples. A great riff that isn't iconic would be Say You Will by Fastway or Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden or I'll See the Light Tonight by Yngwie Malmsteen. They are all great riffs but not Iconic riffs.
        Examples of Iconic riffs would be Layla by Eric Clapton or Paranoid by Black Sabbath or Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin or Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana or Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry. Those would be closer to the definition "Iconic".
        I think Mark was responding to the question 'please name a few bands that make more interesting music than Pantera' not listing iconic riffs.

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
          Dude, Lars is horrible. Seriously, I've never once been even mildly impressed by the guy
          Watch Binge and Purge Live in Seattle 1989... then stfu...
          sigpic
          Action Jackson

Comment

Dude, Lars is horrible. Seriously, I've never once been even mildly impressed by the guy and his drum sound continues to get worse and worse on every successive album.

Just my opinion though.
            Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but the above statement is just ignorant. You may not like the guy or his beliefs or attitude or his band or even his recorded drum sounds but Lars is FAR FAR FAR AWAY from being horrible.

A horrible drummer is the guy you see at a local club who constantly hits his rims, can't keep time and can't play any fills.

Lars plays drums in one of the most popular metal bands of all time and many of those songs have very technical grooves.
            I'm not a drummer but I know the difference between a horrible drummer and a good one. I think most of us on the JCF do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
              I think Mark was responding to the question 'please name a few bands that make more interesting music than Pantera' not listing iconic riffs.
              Got it. Should have read into his response more closely.

Comment

Cowboy, thanks for providing some perspective. Talent is not always appreciated, and good people don't always get what they deserve.

And although I'm new here, it appears to be quite alright to speak before thinking!

Comment

CFH: That was a good read. Cool story. Just curious...how long ago was that meeting with Dime?

Comment

Thanks guys and gals. Hopefully now more of you understand my personal respect for Dime. I'm not trying to take respect away from any other artist and I hope one of you think that. In fact I hope that my writing will open up a lil room for respect of Dime at least as a person.

P.S. - I'll edit my post above and break it into paragraphs for you.
                    Where was this at in Texas? I saw them at The Basement in Dallas when I lived there late 80s/early 90s
                    Jackson KV2
                    Jackson KE1T
                    Jackson KE1F
                    Jackson SL1

Comment

It was just after Christmas in '91, shortly after they came back from Monsters In Moscow.
                      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                        Edguy - from power metal to modern day hair metal, these guys offer up FUN music. the playing is great and depending on the album you get speedy melodicism or nice, retro styled hard rock.
                        My son has just picked up on Avantasia and loves the faster stuff. I haven't turned him onto Edguy yet, but I will.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

yeah, Avantasia is great!!! cool dad!
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

So a question gets asked, I take my time and answer that question as carefully and well worded as I can with no typos and instead of comments about the content I get nitpicked over paragraphs? Seems there's just no way to please all of you.
                            Hey, I justed wanted to say that if you took the time to choose the right words and correct all the typos, it wouldn't have hurt to hit enter once in a while.
                            It's just appearing way longer and it's quite hard to read that way.

But a cool story indeed. Sounds like a memorable moment in your life.
                            tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but the above statement is just ignorant. You may not like the guy or his beliefs or attitude or his band or even his recorded drum sounds but Lars is FAR FAR FAR AWAY from being horrible.
                              I wouldn't say it's ignorant. Highly subjective, but not ignorant. I've heard Metallica from Kill 'em All up to Death Magnetic, and I honestly never heard anything that made my jaw drop. Granted, I'm particularly harsh on drummers since that was my first instrument and I grew up with a drummer for a dad. My benchmark for great drumming is John Bonham, if that gives you any perspective.

A horrible drummer is the guy you see at a local club who constantly hits his rims, can't keep time and can't play any fills.
                              Is that really the level we have to stoop to before we hit "horrible"? I mean, I'll give you incompetent, but "look! He can hit the heads consistently, keep time and play fills!" doesn't necessarily remove someone from being horrible in my book. ;p

Lars plays drums in one of the most popular metal bands of all time and many of those songs have very technical grooves.
                              Popularity and talent really have no correlation, as we've seen time and time again. I love old Metallica, no doubt, and I even enjoyed some of Mastered by Muppets (aka Death Magnetic)...but the drumming never stood out as the focal point of interest.

I'm not a drummer but I know the difference between a horrible drummer and a good one. I think most of us on the JCF do.
                              I'm not trying to shit on anyone's musical tastes, so let me amend my statement:

Lars Ulrich, solely in my opinion, is a (competent maybe, but) boring drummer. His choices as his career has gone on have baffled me, in terms of some of his playing technique as well as the choices made with his drum sound on records. This is completely removed from any opinions I may have about his personality and the like and revolves solely around what I've heard in terms of both studio and live work.

I'll rewatch Binge and Purge though, maybe the past 20 years of material from the band has clouded my judgement and I'll give Lars props.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's ignorant. Highly subjective, but not ignorant. I've heard Metallica from Kill 'em All up to Death Magnetic, and I honestly never heard anything that made my jaw drop. Granted, I'm particularly harsh on drummers since that was my first instrument and I grew up with a drummer for a dad. My benchmark for great drumming is John Bonham, if that gives you any perspective.

I'll rewatch Binge and Purge though, maybe the past 20 years of material from the band has clouded my judgement and I'll give Lars props.
                                I was just responding to the word "horrible". Lars is not a horrible drummer. You may not like him or you may not be impressed by his drumming but he is not horrible. The girl that plays the drums in The White Stripes isn't even horrible. One of the best drummers I have seen lately live is that guy from Greenday. Of course I love Neal Peart too. My favorite recorded drum sounds are either Tommy Lee or that drummer from Metal Church. Tommy Lee's drum sounds are so popular and so good that many studio's use them with midi drum triggers and mix them into the actual live drum set they are recording. His kick and snare are legendary in the studio. Many of you guys might not have know that.

Is that really the level we have to stoop to before we hit "horrible"? I mean, I'll give you incompetent, but "look! He can hit the heads consistently, keep time and play fills!" doesn't necessarily remove someone from being horrible in my book. ;p

Popularity and talent really have no correlation, as we've seen time and time again. I love old Metallica, no doubt, and I even enjoyed some of Mastered by Muppets (aka Death Magnetic)...but the drumming never stood out as the focal point of interest.

Lars Ulrich, solely in my opinion, is a (competent maybe, but) boring drummer. His choices as his career has gone on have baffled me, in terms of some of his playing technique as well as the choices made with his drum sound on records. This is completely removed from any opinions I may have about his personality and the like and revolves solely around what I've heard in terms of both studio and live work.

Comment

Working...
                                X