Calling on Drummers Wuhan Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling on Drummers Wuhan Thoughts

I hate going to music stores around here... everybody is a dickhole and everything is way overpriced.

Anyway... have any of you drummers or anyone else played Wuhan Hi-Hats or Crashes?

They are super cheap $$$ and from most of the reviews and videos I have been researching sound like a great deal... they are B20 alloy and Hand Hammered... in China but that's where they are made so... ehh.

Any thoughts on these would be much appreciated.

I can get 14" Hats and a 16" Crash for $150 on ebay... that's a deal for some pile of hardware right there considering I paid over $200 once for a Sabian Crash that is now broke as shit.
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

My drummer had a pair of wuhan chinas that he bought on the cheap and although I'm no expert, they sounded fine.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

the wuhan stuff isn't too bad, it just won't last very long. that is my opinion, and the opinion of most drummers i know. the general consensus is that if you are a hard hitter they tend to break really fast.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
        My drummer had a pair of wuhan chinas that he bought on the cheap and although I'm no expert, they sounded fine.
        My bro has a Wuhan China also it's pretty good... I think it's an 18"? only $30 bucks?

Originally posted by markD View Post
        the wuhan stuff isn't too bad, it just won't last very long. that is my opinion, and the opinion of most drummers i know. the general consensus is that if you are a hard hitter they tend to break really fast.
        Thanks
        sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

b20 is the best alloy and hand hammering is great for complex vintage sound but it doesn't mean the cymbal is automatically great.

The thing to consider is that even if the drummer is heavy handed doesn't mean that he has to broke the cymbals. It all depends how he hits them, what angle, what technique etc. And there's no need at all to beat the shit out of cymbals... the skins are for that. Old school heavy hitting drummers had no problems playing years with the same cymbals.
          The reason why most recordings and live mixing today are done with close micing is that drummers hit cymbals too hard and are not balancing the volume levels themselves.
          John Bonham didn't use close mics at all yet his drums are dominant in the mix while the cymbals just fit nicely in.

The best choice would be adjusting the playing technique and getting the best cymbals as possible.
          The other alternative is to buy heavier cymbals but they sound shittier and need to be played slightly harder on than on thin or medium cymbals to get the right sound out of them. Some of those very heavy, overly bright "heavy metal" cymbals need to be bounded on otherwise they sound dead... but even at their best they sound pretty unmusical to me. The best and most musical sound comes from very light cymbals... but are unsuitable for heavy hitters... and more drier the more pleasant sound but very dark cymbals need very good chops to get the right tone out of them and are suited more for small post-bop groups as they lack the projection necessary for "beat music".

But if you really like the sound of those Wuhans, get them. The taste is subjective. Me being a fan of 40's K or dry Istanbul Agops has no reason to recommend them to you not knowing your taste and purpose.

But if you feel that those Wuhans are just a lousy compromise then forget it. You'll eventually end up paying more for all those short lasting chinese cymbals.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

^ thank you very much for your insight... I found some Zildjians locally so the Wuhans got the axe...

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/126...day?highlight=
            sigpic
            Action Jackson

Comment

Working...
            X