So I joined a physics forum today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I joined a physics forum today

and have never encountered such a brazen attitude of "if you dont know what youre talking about, go learn it somewhere else and come back after youve learned it."I wasnt making bold statements, I simply tried my best to explain what had occurred to me based on my limited knowledge of the Theory of Relativity, and then asked a question. This was the response I got
    :

"Yes, most of what you said towards the end makes no sense. The problem with not actually understanding and studying a topic like special relativity is that when you throw words together based on your own, non-scientific understanding of the world, what you get will inevitably be meaningless. You may think what you said makes sense, but to anyone who has properly studied relativity, you're basically saying things equivalent to "If an apple = cow, would the cow be useful in a fruit salad?". Totally nonsensical.
    I'm sure someone could manipulate your words into something that actually DOES have meaning in physics, but I'm not sure that will be very helpful."

I could equate this to: Person: "What do those rectangular things underneath the strings of your guitar do?" Me: "Learn the proper term for the rectangular things and Ill tell you."

Furthermore, in a discussion that mentioned artificially creating micro black holes, I made an initial post based on an assumption that micro, relative to a full size black hole would still be very large and would prove difficult to maintain safety around it. Well it turns out micro in this instance meant, you could easily fit it in a normal sized lab room. So I mentioned that there was confusion on my end and that a pico black hole would have been a better description. Then I asked a legitimate question regarding how that could even be possible considering the mass it takes to kick start a full size black hole, and what would happen if one lost control of the pico black holes input of matter. The question was ignored and instead, the term pico black hole started getting thrown around in a tongue in cheek fashion in the following posts. These jerk offs paid more attention to the fact that I didnt know very much than to the fact that I was asking questions in order to learn. Fuck em. Guess I just need to befriend a physicist.
    Last edited by Twitch; 01-18-2012, 12:46 AM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

A Physics forum..why? That sounds about as fun as a great fart without the bouquet. There's no payoff.

I can explain the quanthum theory of radiocative quazars with the use of two oranges and one banana! But I won't, because it may be taken out of context. I should know. I was kicked out of 6th grade for doing this.

It was much too advanced for them.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hmmnn, Twitch. me thinks you have too much time on your hands.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        A Physics forum..why? That sounds about as fun as a great fart without the bouquet. There's no payoff.
        Originally posted by Soap View Post
        Honest to god, it fascinates the hell out of me, and on many, many occasions, Ill be deeply thinking about it and the the implications that could arise from some aspects of the theory of relativity. I know enough about it that I end up with questions that those around me that are in the know, dont know how to answer my questions.

Like take for instance the idea that there are 4 dimensions, 3 for space and one for time. Now that being said, there are supposedly problems with stability, predictability and provable math if the number of time dimensions are >1. However, to me, in my head, it makes sense that there be a dimension of time for each dimension of space since physical length could be equated to duration, or time. You can represent a physical length by the time it takes to travel the distance, hence light year.

I dont see how this idea would be an issue. Fuck the exact math, it would be wrong anyhow if there really were three dimensions of time(hence theory). Track and predict time in the same manner you would plot where something that exists in space. You know event A was measured to start here. Change the math formulas to account for the other 2 dimensions and plot the graph in 3d. Youll begin to see the pattern emerge in a line that can move in 3 dimensions. Since you can track the progress of the event, and you can track other things that may change the course of the event and in what direction, you can predict path that event A will follow.

I think the idea of time being 1 dimensional is awfully simplistic when everything else in the universe is immensely complicated.

Nobody I know can tell me Im full of shit or that Im not and explain their answer.
        Last edited by Twitch; 01-18-2012, 02:14 AM.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
          Too much of something, and possibly of suspect quality.

Comment

Alright, I re-read these posts about 5 times trying to follow along.

Then I Googled "boobies".

Then read these posts again.

So, if there are multiple dimensions in time and we could manipulate them... I could go back in time and Google "boobies" instead of ever opening this thread?

Comment

physics forums....... I bet thats a great place to meet chicks.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                physics forums....... I bet thats a great place to meet chicks.
                If you have that pig-tailed, nerdy with glasses fetish.........which deep down, we all probably do.
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

yup, folks can be dicks..... of course you won't find that here at the JCF

here's something you might like: http://www.inquisitr.com/144267/scie...er-than-light/

The implications of this could be pretty far reaching if true, than most of the theories that are hypothesized would be inherently flawed.
                  Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Twitch,

Just watch The Big Bang Theory for a few weeks then you'll be prepared to battle those nerds!

Comment

I haven't ever joined an academic type forum, but I went to a high school full of geniuses (I was the only one cranking Master of Puppets & Peace Sells on a Marshall stack in my dorm room).

There seemed to be 2 types of geniuses. Those that enjoyed the learning and knowledge, and would share what knowledge they had and hope to help someone along in their own quest for knowledge, and maybe pick up some new information or perspective they hadn't thought of.

The other seemed to treat their knowledge as proof that they were better than everyone else, and the last thing they would do is waste time trying to share that knowledge with some person of perceived lesser intelligence. They also seem to get their rocks off by making fun of people that don't 'get it', whatever 'it' is. Seemed to enjoy the feeling of superiority.

I'm thinking a good chunk (not all) of the people who hang out in a physics forum probably fall into the latter group.

Comment

Back in the 1980s when I first got on the internet, thats all the internet was, a bunch of physics discussions along with the arguments of why Atari sucks............

Comment

Im not a physics professor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Being one of those people who is smarter than the average bear (but I wouldn't say I am a genius - especially when compared to most others that I have worked and studied with) I find it immensly frustrating to have to explain the same basic principle over and over again.

To then be told that I am wrong and the person I have been trying to explain something to infact knows better just makes it worse. What is funny is that all people of any moderate level of intellect will naturally question any theory, that is the natural learning process. Therefore I can categorically say I have frustrated other people by questioning what I have been taught.

Acedaemic dominace is something you see a lot at high level universities, professors getting in pissing matches over their theories (and the funding that goes with it). Forums are a modern training ground for budding academics to show off their newly found intellect. The difference with a forum is that no-one is actually standing there talking face to face like in a university, so all manners go out the window.

Sorry you had to experience that.

The problem is that these peole have invested 100 years in understanding relitivity, but in actual fact it is all for nout since it is quickly becoming clear from tests at CERN and independent studies that the theory of general reletivity is wrong. I can't say much about special relitivity though.

I am an Engineer, not a pure scientist. So I don't follow the purist notions these guys come up with. I understand the route theroy and can often follow it to first principles, but I mostly use the results and equations as a language in order to make things work in the real world.

Comment

Remember, these are the people who brought you "Mutually Assured Destruction"
                              There is a fine line between science fiction and science fact.

"illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                              X