Are guitars like violins or cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are guitars like violins or cars?

So I read about the $200,000 Stradivarius that gets left on a bus, and it makes me wonder about the future value of guitars. I know there are collectors out there, but I'm not one. Frankly, I don't really even like most of the old stuff that is considered most "collectible".

But it makes me wonder, are guitars like the Stradivarius or are they more like classic cars. Classic cars also appreciate in value for a period of time, but then it fades as those who value them most "exit" the market. And then later generations become more fond of the vehicles they grew up with and can relate to personally.

So in twenty or thirty years, will it be the Jackson, Charvel and other guitars of OUR time that everyone wants because that's what we enjoyed playing the most? Or will it always be the "oldies" Strats and Pauls that are eternally sought after by collectors and museums, appreciating in value until they get loaned out and left behind on a city bus?

guitar, violins, and classic cars will never compare to the collectability of argyle sweaters.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I think the real question is: do Stradivariuses have any blues rock chatter?
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

...vaginas
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          ...vaginas
          Made in the USA is best?
          Desireable for about 25 years?
          Always come with strings?

Comment

Originally posted by canadian bacon View Post
            Made in the USA is best?
            Desireable for about 25 years?
            Always come with strings?
            Exactly...except for #1. I like all vaginas..prolly even extrateristicle ..like tribbles. Except for those that look like Subway's Philly cheese steak. Ok, maybe those too. I'll wear a gas mask, and scuba gear. I've done that before...no big whoop.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well, collecting vaginas usualy takes half your fortune for every one you get, and I'll bet Tiger Woods and Mel Gibson in hindsight would have rather invested is a stradivarius because it would've been cheaper in the end
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

...and back to the point...I think right now is the period that Jacksons are being sought after as the guitars we lusted after in our youth..unless they become relevant to 'the kids' again I can see the prices of the mid to late 80's ones coming down. (and they really aren't all that high now!), especially when the codgers on this site stop buying them up

Comment

Working...
                X