Buying amps via classifieds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying amps via classifieds

So I'm negotiating with a guy on the boogie board. He has what he claims is an amp in very good condition, to be shipped from Florida to California. Initially he wanted to charge me a 3% paypal rate on top of the advertised price. I've got a feeling I can bargain him down, though. What's the best way to deal with this without getting ripped off? I'm not really familiar with the Boogie Board, so don't feel so comfortable as I would buying off someone here, where you get a feel for a person after a while.
    (Alternatively, the same amp is available locally on craigslist, but the price is a bit more).
    Any advice?
    My other signature says something funny

I'd get local man - with tube amps there's so much shit that can go wrong if they, the seller, doesn't pack that amp to survive a nuclear blast. Boogies are tough but the way they handles boxes when shipped....How much more is it locally and what amp?

Comment

Thanks for the advice - that's the way I'm leaning. It's a Mark V. Once I factor in the postage, they're probably around the same price - $1,885.
      I bought my Studio 22 a few years ago on ebay, and it wasn't till recently I discovered there was an issue with the effects loop - I don't want to spend this sort of money and find out things aren't good.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
        Thanks for the advice - that's the way I'm leaning. It's a Mark V. Once I factor in the postage, they're probably around the same price - $1,885.
        I bought my Studio 22 a few years ago on ebay, and it wasn't till recently I discovered there was an issue with the effects loop - I don't want to spend this sort of money and find out things aren't good.
        Buy local so you can try it out - a lot of things can go wrong via shipping because of someones ignorance and filling a claim is a pain in the rectum. I'm in a 4 week in claim with UPS for broken tubes when I got my Mesa Mark 4 a month ago.

Comment

Sorry to hear that - that sucks. Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Shipping amps is a bad idea. I 2nd trying them first hand if possible.

Comment

Well of course buying local is THE best, but I have bought more than 10 tube amps online and they had zero problems. Tell the seller to pull the tubes first, label where each one goes and pack them in a separate box. Then double box the amp itself. It should be fine. Unless it's a dishonest seller, the boogie amps are built like tanks. I myself shipped a mark iv to a member on this board and it was fine. I have shipped about 5 or 6 tube amps without any Issues. But hey, at the end of the day it's all in the hands of the seller and the carrier (insist him not to use UPS) LOL. Good luck!
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                Well of course buying local is THE best, but I have bought more than 10 tube amps online and they had zero problems. Tell the seller to pull the tubes first, label where each one goes and pack them in a separate box. Then double box the amp itself. It should be fine. Unless it's a dishonest seller, the boogie amps are built like tanks. I myself shipped a mark iv to a member on this board and it was fine. I have shipped about 5 or 6 tube amps without any Issues. But hey, at the end of the day it's all in the hands of the seller and the carrier (insist him not to use UPS) LOL. Good luck!
                +1 I bought a tube amp online and it was shipped double boxed and with the tubes removed.

Comment

Yeah the tubes will get jostled loose most likely. Had that happen to a Massive Passive shipped to me. Also, sold a Rivera Ktre recently and of course course the amp wouldn't power on when the buyer got it. Ended up being loose tubes; even though it was shipped in a road case and then packed in another box with stryofoam and bubblewrap.

Yes, don't ship UPS ever. I've been to a local hub station where all the trucks load and unload. All the trucks are backed up into loading bays on either side of a conveyor belt system with workers unloading the trucks. The dudes would literally hurl boxes up onto the belts. Needlessly to say I saw many packages tumble on to the floor.

At this place I used to work I'd go down and smoke in the building's loading bay. I got to know the UPS guy really well over several years. We'd have conversations while I'd watch him rummaging up in the truck and then roll packages out of the back of the truck on to the concrete floor. lol

UPS is union and they don't really give a fuck because they are protected. This is coming from the UPS driver I knew. He told me some fucked up shit that goes on at UPS.
                  Last edited by Animus; 10-15-2011, 11:07 PM.
                  2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                  Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Good to know. And kind of bad, too .
                    Anyway, the local guy has come down to 1800, and the wife has begrudgingly said yes, so hopefully I'll be going with him.
                    Anyone know how the transferable warranty works with these things? Does he have to send some paperwork to Mesa to pass it on to a new owner? He said he himself bought it second hand, and has been a little cagey about warranty details. Probably paranoia, but I'm worried if I contact Mesa with the serial number, and without the paperwork, they're going to tell me it's stolen or something.

Comment

I'd drive over there and check it out if I were you...that fuggin' fuck!

..bastard

I'll go with you with the cash..we'll get a discount. Come pick me up in Cleveland. Then we'll go..that piece o' shit!

...prick
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
                        Good to know. And kind of bad, too .
                        Anyone know how the transferable warranty works with these things?
                        Got this from the boogie forums...

If you buy USED/TRADE-IN gear from any non-mesa dealer, the warranty is void. Even if you purchase used gear from a Guitar Center, NOT ALL GUITAR CENTERS ARE MESA DEALERS. So, any music store (that is not a mesa dealer) that sells used mesa gear voids the warranty. If you trade in your gear to a music store that is NOT a Mesa Dealer, it voids the warranty. ONLY AN OFFICIAL MESA DEALER CAN OFFER YOU THE TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY ON USED GEAR. However, if you buy used gear from an individual, who purchased it from a legitimate Mesa dealer, the warranty is transferable IF YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL BILL OF SALE, or, IF THE GEAR HAS BEEN REGISTERED BY THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER WITH MESA. (and even then, mesa prefers an original bill of sale)

So when does the 5-year warranty transfer apply?

1. You purchase your used gear from an official Mesa Dealer
                        2. You purchase your used gear from someone who bought from a Mesa Dealer AND supplies original receipt.
                        3. You purchase your used gear from someone who bought from a Mesa Dealer AND had registered it with Mesa, (you still may need a proof of purchase to register it with Mesa)
                        Sam

Comment

Thanks for looking that up - looks like I can forget about the warranty then.
                          Bill - no worries, it's all cool. As soon as he agrees a time, I'm going to go over and check it out. I think he's being pretty straight.

Comment

Just a side note........... didnt Mesa used to offer a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser??? if so, when did it change to a 5 yr warranty???
                            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                            X