London live music venues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London live music venues

I'm in London for a couple days, any suggestion for good places to check out good live music this weekend (fri & sat)?

No idea about London, old chap, so can't help you. Have a good weekend though. Get pissed, eat kebab, spew up, fight.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Drinking and kebabs are cool, but way too old for the spewing and fighting

Any clue what were the legendary rock clubs in London? Its the birthplace of UK rock, metal, punk, etc. There must be the UK equivalent of The Whiskey or Troubador in LA and CBGB in NY?

Comment

It's been literally decades, but...

The Borderline
        Ronny Scotts (Jazz and Blues)

Buy a copy of Timeout - that should have pretty much everything listed.
        Enjoy!

I was struggling to remember, and the Marquee finally came to me - but it looks like it's closed down. What a shame!
        Last edited by Cliff; 10-08-2011, 02:22 AM.
        My other signature says something funny

Comment

I've played the Underworld once, and it was cool! I think they've got good gigs there regularly: http://www.theunderworldcamden.co.uk/
          https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions gents. Looks like LA Guns are playing Sun night at Underworld, will just miss them.

What about guitar stores, where did all the UK guitar legends get their axes and rigs?

Comment

Denmark Street is the most well-known area for music stores. I've not been there for several years, but my experience was always miserable bastards and high prices...

Comment

Originally posted by BYeh1 View Post
                What about guitar stores, where did all the UK guitar legends get their axes and rigs?
                Abroad?

Comment

Just got back from Denmark Street, very cool but you're right very expensive, Rockers was selling the new Japan Charvel production models for 799 quid, almost 50% higher than in the US!

Comment

Originally posted by BYeh1 View Post
                    Well, I bought mine in the US. Hang on, I'm not a guitar legend...

There's no equivilent of those clubs in London, any place that was anywhere closed down and turned into flats years ago, or went "upmarket". They haven't quite cottoned on to the appeal of the "Roots of Rock"-type venue, even the original Cavern in Liverpool was knocked down .

Anyway, Birmingham is the true home of Rock and Metal!
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Just got back, for anyone looking in London, the place to go for live rock venues is definitely Camden Town. Camden High Street is lined with pubs and clubs from top to bottom and range in style from metal to indie to blues and jazz. Noel Gallagher, Amy Winehouse (RIP), many others live(d) in the hood.

Some of the more famous clubs include Electric Ballroom, Underworld, Purple Turtle, Bar Fly. These venues have been played by bands early in their careers such as U2, Sid Vicious, the Clash, Oasis, Coldplay, The Darkness, etc.
                      Last edited by BYeh1; 10-09-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X