Can't get your dog to take pills? Try this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get your dog to take pills? Try this

My 10 year old Weimaraner Shadow has an inner ear infection that's fairly serious. He can't move his face and has trouble with balance. He's on some heavy antibiotics for a couple weeks, but for the past few days I had to resort to the good old shove-down-the-throat method. I tried wrapping the pill in cheese, beef, but he'd just eat around the pill and spit it out. All you dog owners are probably familiar with this behaviour. So I devised a way to trick the trickster here which has worked for the two times I've had to give him pills today. He might catch on eventually, but I doubt it.

What I do is divide the cheese or beef into a couple sections, two with half of a pill each in them (Small enough so he doesn't notice). I give the pieces without the pill first. He chews, doesn't find a pill and swallows. When it comes around to the pieces with the pill, he thinks they are "safe" as he's had two pieces that had no pill just before that. Easy as pie

So try it out if you're having sick dog troubles!
    I like EL34s.

You dog-tricker you!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

thats pretty clever. now if you can trick some old bastards in a nursing home to take their meds, then you have accomplished somehting.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Oh, what nursing home are you in, tone? Ar ar

Comment

I do the same thing to my mother in law. Not really, shes cool.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            Oh, what nursing home are you in, tone? Ar ar
            Schoooooo!!!!!!! a direct hit.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

My Moms dogs are the same way, she uses peanut butter, they can't resist.

Comment

I guess my dog is stupid then. Wrap it in cheese and its gone.

Comment

Pet Stores also sell Pill Pockets. It's a soft dog treat with a hole in the middle. Insert the pill and squeeze the opening shut. This has worked perfectly for our dog who won't eat pills.
                  I did get reverse psychology to work on my dog once. We were out of pill pockets and she wouldn't eat her pill. So I dropped it on the floor, said "Oops" and reached to pick it up. She fell for it and immediately wanted to eat it because she assumed I had accidentally dropped some human food. The whole time she's eating it I'm saying, " No Angel, No!" causing her to only eat it more quickly for fear I was going to take it from her.

Comment

haha, nice, Joshulator. That might work on my two-year-old son too

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                      She fell for it and immediately wanted to eat it because she assumed I had accidentally dropped some human food. The whole time she's eating it I'm saying, " No Angel, No!" causing her to only eat it more quickly
                      I LOL'd here at the office!

Comment

Pet Stores also sell Pill Pockets. It's a soft dog treat with a hole in the middle. Insert the pill and squeeze the opening shut. This has worked perfectly for our dog who won't eat pills.
                        I did get reverse psychology to work on my dog once. We were out of pill pockets and she wouldn't eat her pill. So I dropped it on the floor, said "Oops" and reached to pick it up. She fell for it and immediately wanted to eat it because she assumed I had accidentally dropped some human food. The whole time she's eating it I'm saying, " No Angel, No!" causing her to only eat it more quickly for fear I was going to take it from her.
                        Pill Pockets FTW at Casa de Sully.
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

This bastard is too clever for even those. Spits them right out.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

are you serious? its that difficult? Just grind the pill into a powder and mix it with the dog's food. Works for kids! My 1 yr old needed to take some medication and we mixed the very bitter pill with honey and fed it to her.

If its a capsule with content on the inside, cut it open with a knife and mix the powder with the dog's food.
                            Sam

Comment

Try diversion tactics..like shoving your thumb in his butthole while the pill is in his mouth. It works for most vegeteranians.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X