Eric Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Johnson

On Wednesday, I went to see Eric Johnson at a club in NYC. I like his jazz fusion stuff a little more than his blues side (yea, I'm probably in the minority on that one). Regardless of what style of music he played, his music didn't seem to get as borring as other virtuos players I've seen. Sometimes with someone like Satch or Vai, their music is good at first, but after a while, it all sounds like one endles solo and gets borring live. For the most part, Mr. Johnson's music didn't meld into one long solo. Overall, I'd say he put on a great show. His tone was phenomenal too.

Is anyone around here into his playing?

I bought A Via Musicom when it came out of course after hearing Cliffs of Dover once. The rest of the album didn't do as much for me as that song, he just didn't have the same fire in most of them. Because of that I never really kept up with him. But I can appreciate his skill for sure. Did he wear the big over ear headphones the whole show?
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I've never seen him live in person, but his Austin City Limits shows have all been great.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        I bought A Via Musicom when it came out of course after hearing Cliffs of Dover once. The rest of the album didn't do as much for me as that song, he just didn't have the same fire in most of them. Because of that I never really kept up with him. But I can appreciate his skill for sure. Did he wear the big over ear headphones the whole show?
        He wore a white buttondown shirt and black jeans. He was pretty soft spoken too.

He played a black strat most of the night and switched to what looked like a vintage SG for a few songs.

Comment

I actually had the chance to help run sound for him. We had a benefit for another musician at the club I was running sound at at the time and he came and played a set. Richard Mullen (Like EJ, a master of his craft) ran FOH and I ran monitors, on the same FOH mixer. I've also been lucky enough to sit and talk with him a few times over the years as he's a friend of my uncle. SUPER NICE guy, real soft spoken and very genuine.
          My Toys:
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

It's his birthday tomorrow (17th) according to my Fender calendar.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Did he have the funky wooden pedal stand or were you even close enough to see.
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Own a few of his CDs, saw him open for Rush, met him at NAMM. I'm not a fanboy, but I do like listening to him.

- E.
                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                  Did he have the funky wooden pedal stand or were you even close enough to see.
                  I was definitely close enough to see. I helped him get the amps and pedalboard into place and then mic'd them up. If I remember correctly it was basically a big piece of plywood painted black with all the pedals on it. Not really what I would call a stand.
                  My Toys:
                  '94 Dinky HX in Black
                  '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I thought I recalled an article some time ago about having to keep one of his pedals up off the floor because to him, he could hear a difference, so his tech made some kind of wooden stand for that pedal. I dont know. Ive seen him groove on tv before, hes pretty good, though its not my kind of music.

Comment

he also prefers pedals' battery covers taped not screwed due tonal differences.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Yea, he has some wierd stuff he does.

There was a double right angle 1/4-1/4 going between 2 pedals and he kept fooling with it. He pulled about 7 or 8 more and starting trying them out one by one. They all worked, but he said each one had a different sound to it. I will say though, that after standing there with him for quite a while listening to each one there was one that sounded different. Yea, I thought my mind was fucking with me but he switched back and forth with another one a few times and there WAS a slight difference. But all the others sounded exactly the same to me.

But who the hell am I to critique, LOL. His tone is just butter smooth like his playing. He's his own worst critic, and thank god for that because the result is some badass shit.
                        My Toys:
                        '94 Dinky HX in Black
                        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Long time no post (years)- was checking out the site during lunch and noticed the thread. I saw him last week in Boston and it was a great show. Got to meet him before the gig and he was incredibly genuine, very nice guy.

Took some pics-

Signing my EJ Strat-

Comment

I think the bassist made a doody in his pants.

Comment

Working...
                            X