Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it better to live in a first floor apartment if you play guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it better to live in a first floor apartment if you play guitar?

can you afford to make more noises when living in a first floor apartment? I want to crank up my amp, but im afraid they might complain. I've had no complaints playing moderate noise levels on my amp.

They'll complain no matter where you are. But in the first floor, you'll be stuck listening to stomping from above.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

no it's definitely better to be on the 1st floor. on the 2nd floor you have to put down like 5 rugs to dampen the assault
      on the people below who will bang on the ceiling with a broom or something.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

its best to live on the first floor so you dont have to haul your amps and shit up the stairs.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
          its best to live on the first floor so you dont have to haul your amps and shit up the stairs.
          +1

I crank my amp up during the day... nothing wrong with that... matter of fact I'm going to do it now!!!

sigpic
          Action Jackson

Comment

Ground Floor, you language mangling savages. The First Floor is up the first flight of stairs.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
              Ground Floor, you language mangling savages. The First Floor is up the first flight of stairs.
              In my first apartment, the windows were at ground level. I had to go down a flight (er...half flight?) of stairs to get to the front door.
              What's the "proper" term for that?
              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                In my first apartment, the windows were at ground level. I had to go down a flight (er...half flight?) of stairs to get to the front door.
                What's the "proper" term for that?
                Shitty basement apartment?
                sigpic
                Action Jackson

Comment

1st floor's only good if you jump up and down while you play. If on the 2nd, they can bang on the ceiling (your floor) all they want while you're playing since you won't hear it. If you were on the 1st floor, you would have to hear them go up and down the stairway all the time. How annoying... LOL

Comment

Well, when I was an apartment dweller - I lived on the 2cd floor and never heard any complaints about my playing. Keeping in mind that I only had a crate g212 combo(only 60 watts) at the apartment. I remember playing whenever I felt like, 3am or not....

I kept my other gear at the drummers house. If you have a rehearsel space, than a small combo shouldn't offend anyone, and if it does fuck them!
                    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Low frequencies will travel through the floor, so first floor is best. But I'd still check with the neighbors to make sure it's cool. They might work third-shift and be sleeping at 3PM when you want to crank it up. Plus asking before-hand makes them less likely to complain.
                      Scott

Comment

Well if his neighbors make too much noise he can just crank the amp up.
                        “On Ecstasy, Joan Rivers looks like Pamela Anderson, so imagine what Pamela Anderson looked like.”

Comment

Working...
                        X