Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 13 years, I finally quit smoking... and heres how...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 13 years, I finally quit smoking... and heres how...

So after 13 or so years, Ive finally quit. Ya know, I really thought I enjoyed smoking. I thought it gave me something to do, something to take the bordom away. But as Ive come to find out, none of that was true... it was the DRUG ADDICTION making me THINK those things were true.

First, Ill start off by saying I really didnt want to quit. My reasons werent that of most people, mine were more financial because $8 a pack is rediculous. That and I really want to spend as much time on this earth as I can, especially with kids now. But thus, Ive thought like that for a while and still never did quit. While on a job doing work in a Dr's house, I asked if he had any samples of Chantix. A week later he gave it to me, and I brought it home and where it sat for a few months. To be honest, I was scared to take it... didnt know what to expect, heard tons of horror stories, scared of it taking away my friend, the cigg.

One week about a month and a half ago, I started really thinking about taking it... after about 4 days of skirting around it, I finally started one morning. I know that youre supposed to set a quit date, but I didnt want to. I didnt want to force myself to stop on a particular day, I figured Id ween off of them slowly. After a few days, I notice the ciggs start tasting like trash... literally like Im licking an ashtray. Hm, ok, maybe this stuff is working.

After the first week I upped my doseage and the cravings started to subside. Where before I had to run out to my car at lunch time to cram in lunch and as many ciggs I could have in a half hour (because you cant smoke on the property at my work), now I didnt need one at all. It dwindled down less and less, 3, 2, 1 a day... until my pack was gone, and that was it. It took me about 2.5 weeks of being on the Chantix to stop smoking. I continued to take it for another week, and while they do not recommend it, I stopped taking the Chantix as well.

That was over 3 weeks ago, and let me tell you, I feel great! I can breathe as deep as I want, and not cough. Hell, I havent even coughed in 2 weeks. I dont feel my heart racing and beating out of my chest any more, I dont feel shitty and sick, my throat doesent hurt, and I dont smell of smoke any more. As an added bonus, my left thigh doesent go numb anymore after standing for an extended period of time. Blood flow FTW!

Now let it be known that I DO NOT like medications if I dont absolutley HAVE to take them... but I figured that the Chantix couldnt be any worse than smoking, so I really had nothing to lose. I tried other stuff too... the patch, cold turkey after reading a book, and nothing worked... I turned into a raving maniac with all those other methods. But with the Chantix, it was almost too easy. I didnt have any of those nasty side effects you normally hear about... aside from ever so slight nausea just after taking the pill in the morning, and slightly more vivid but normal dreams, everything went great.

I now look back at how pathetic being a smoker really was... I mean come on, rushing out to my car in the dead of summer, 95* heat every damn day at work just to have a few ciggs? Always planning ahead, where and when my next cigg would be, where I would buy them, and how paranoid I would get if I thought I was gonna run out or had to go on a long car ride in a vehicle I couldnt smoke in. Holy crap! If that isnt the definition of junkie, I dont know what is. All the time and money I wasted on that shit, just thinking about it makes me sick... I averaged it out over the past 13 years, Ive spent about $30,000 on smokes. WHAT THE FUCK? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CUSTOM SHOPS THAT WOULD BE? Ok, only like 3 with todays pricing, but still!

Seriously though, Im not trying to be a preacher or any of that shit. Just know that if you do smoke, you CAN quit, even if you DONT THINK you want to. This is coming from someone who never even really wanted to quit, until I did it. Sure, I havent even been quit for a month, but the fact is I am, and always will be a non-smoker. In the past few weeks, Ive suffered the sudden loss of a special friend (my 3 year old cat, Buddy) as well as several nights out drinking and gigging... and I didnt it all without the "help" of a cigg. Ive been around them, people have blown the smoke in my face, and it doesent bother me.

Just ask yourself one question... did you crave a cigg before you started smoking? I didnt think so... quit that shit, live a little longer, save some money and buy more Jacksons!
    Last edited by RobRR; 04-07-2011, 09:13 PM.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Congrats!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I always thought that the Letters to Penthouse were made up. Until the other night when I answered my front door to twin 6' Swedish bikini models, holding pizza & a 6-pack....

Seriously though, congrats. That's a big monkey off your back.

I catch a 2 hour ride (each way!) to work on the Greyhound every day and often see some guy feverishly dragging on that last ciggie and tossing the butt as they step on the bus, and to have a new one in their mouth and lighter in hand, 5 minutes before we pull in at the other end, all ready to go AS SOON as they step off the bus. They can't get off the bus, pull out the packet, take out a smoke and light it - it has to be lit as soon as that foot hits the tarmac. It's all a bit tragic, really.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I quit smoking 1 year and 4 months ago (on my 35th bday). I smoked a pack a day for 23 years and stopped cold turkey. It was a conscious decision on my part and haven't looked back. It's amazing the things that your non smoking friends tell you that you refuse to believe as a smoker....like they can tell on the coldest of winter days that someone in the car in front of them is smoking because they can smell. It's true, you can!

Anyway, good luck being smoke free and I hope others will see the light as well. I don't look down on smokers, and I could never be one to criticize those who do.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
          All the time and money I wasted on that shit, just thinking about it makes me sick... I averaged it out over the past 13 years, Ive spent about $30,000 on smokes. WHAT THE FUCK? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CUSTOM SHOPS THAT WOULD BE? Ok, only like 3 with todays pricing, but still!
          Congrats! For posterity's sake, had you instead been putting that same cash into the stock market all those years, it would be close to $50,000 today.

Comment

Congratulations. Ironically, I'm having a pipe as I read this.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Nice. Glad that worked for you bro. I thought about tryin chantix but a friend of mine said he started to feel crazy on it so i never tried it. Hmmm guess i should give it a shot. I hate being a smoker and even when i say, this is my last pack. I usually end up asking for a pack when i stop in a gas station for gas or a drink and dont even realize what ive done til im back in the car, then im like screw it and keep smokin lol.

Comment

Congrats, Rob. Good move.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                  I thought about tryin chantix but a friend of mine said he started to feel crazy on it so i never tried it. Hmmm guess i should give it a shot.
                  I was scared just like you... I cant tell you how many times I had people tellin me horror stories, "oh watch out for that shit man, my boss went nuts" or something like that. Everyone is different and it will effect every individual in a slightly different way. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones, but it did nothing but help me quit. So I say give it a shot, youve got nothing to lose. Tell your friends and family that youre going to use it, and ask them to watch out for any of the side effects that you yourself might not notice. Its good to have a safety net just in case.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Congrats. I quit cold puffin 12 years ago.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Congratulations. I quit about 16 years ago. I was a 2 1/2 pack a day guy and I did it cold turkey when I became a father...that was all the motivation I needed...
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

congrats!! I've been off of them for 9 years now. I had to almost die from pneumonia though, it's a great incentive LOL. James had quit 8 months before he passed away..it took him having a stent put in his heart. Glad you're off 'em!!

Comment

Congrats, Rob. Welcome to the life of a non-smoker! I'm there as well, quit 1 year and 1 month ago, never looked back. It's a great feeling.
                          You have the right outlook on it, Rob. You know it was a drug addiction and that you are now done with it for good.
                          You don't need any other drugs or nicotine replacement to do it, just the right mindset.

Be proud of yourself, it is definitely something to be proud of!
                          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I wasn't a chain smoker...averaged about a pack every 3 - 4 days and quit cold turkey Oct 1 2002. Yes, I set a date. First week, I had body pain, headaches, etc. I wasn't even playing guitar at that time. LOL. Just educated myself on how cigarette increases dopamine secretion...which can also be done by vigorous exercise, eating your fav foods etc. So, when I felt like smoking, I'd grab a candy. I'd have lunch at a good restaurant, etc. Now, I smoke whenever I meet up with a high-school friend which is once or twice a year.

BTW, congrats!!!
                            Sam

Comment

Working...
                            X