Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A (kind of) question about recording/using DI signals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A (kind of) question about recording/using DI signals.

As of late, I've been playing guitar more through amp sims on my laptop. Through some recordings and general playing, I've noted that even though my tone with the sims is realistic, I know it can be better. The main thing I think is causing this is my signal that I am feeding into the laptop. Specifically, I am connecting direct to the laptop's line in from my Boss Gt8 processor, which is the source of the distortion I am using, rather than a distortion simulator.

And so, I'm looking into purchasing an audio interface (like one in the link below) where I can exclusively use guitar cables (for more proper signal transfer), plug into the interface, plug into the computer, and hopefully, get a better signal into my laptop for my amp sims to work from.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ku=485880#used

The only thing is that I'm seeing that most of these interfaces that I am looking at were designed just for a guitar to be connected directly into the interface (rather than a through a processor or dist. pedal then into the interface).

So my question is to anyone that has used interfaces like this in the past while recording. Is it possible to send a distorted signal from a processor into the interface and acheive a good quality signal, or are the units really only designed for capturing a directly connected guitar sound?

Sorry for the long post, just want to be sure that I explain my situation thoroughly

The unit you linked to is able to handle both mic(rophone) and line input. So, that's a big yes to your question - it is possible to send a distorted signal from a processor into the interface and acheive a good quality signal. Either you press a button to select between mic and line, or you dial a knob.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I plug the Direct Out of my amp into my recording interface, then I use a cabinet sim in the recording software. It sounds great!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I'll be making a purchase for a good interface before long then!

Comment

Working...
        X