heavy covers- anyone else gig w/ 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heavy covers- anyone else gig w/ 'em?

Started a cover band that does heavier stuff from the late 60's til' 2000(s). Talking about versions of The Who, Hendrix, Rick Derringer, Zep, Sabbath, KISS, Priest, Accept, Scorps, Crue, Alice in Chains, Puddle of Mudd, Alien Ant Farm, etc. Have doubts about chances of success in the bar circuit. Anyone in the SE Pa (Philly) region gig with heavier material?
    Any suggestions as to other places to play live? Don't necessarily care about money- just wanna rock-

Not in the Philly area but up north, across the border in Montreal...

In a cover band also, see our site here for our continuously growing set list: https://sites.google.com/site/sonics...cks/songs-list

We've done a couple of gigs last years. I noticed that people are not much into bands as they were when I was in my 20s (20 years ago!).

I've noticed that AC/DC stuff is still a crowd teaser. Old classic rock tunes played your way is always good too. For example we do "The Doors-Light My Fire" but we don't have a keyboard in the band, so everything is done with guitars.

I'm suprised to hear the younger members of the crowd singing the classic rock tunes with us. May be the game Guitar Hero wasn't that bad.

"Seek & Destroy" from Metallica also still works!

If you have a few other questions regarding the tunes we play or whatever, feel free to ask.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

We used to do heavier stuff like Man In The Box and heavied-up versions of classic rock - Voodoo Chile (less SRV riffing, more focus on the pounding steady rhythm), but since we're in Tennessee, we had to do Skynrd as close as possible.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        heavied-up versions of classic rock - Voodoo Chile (less SRV riffing, more focus on the pounding steady rhythm)
        Any clip of this? Would be curious to hear as this is one tune I've been thinking adding to the set list.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

With my previous band we used to do Alice In Chains - Dirt and Iron Maiden - Powerslave occasionally. They aren't really crowd-pleasers but they are fun to play. Powerslave can get some old heavy metal dudes chanting along, but it depends on the crowd.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

My band does 80's hard rock covers. It goes over great with the crowd but it is a problem getting that initial booking with the club owners as they don't see it as "dance music". Once your foot is in the door though, you should be o.k. I'm in NE Ohio btw.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
            X