Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Gilbert show last night

Hey all.

For any who are interested in PG, last night a buddy and I went to see Paul Gilbert in Istanbul. Before the show we were lucky enough to take part in a 2 hour clinic and jam with PG. He's really down to earth, great sense of humour and no need to say that he can play like a mofo. His amp tone is weird right now, I think because he uses single coils that are really trebly the amp is very muddy. He's using marshall jvms and was also very enthusiastic about his hotplate.

Me and PG:

The show was also great, his band is tight and has a good vibe.
    Setlist:
    - Silence followed by a deafening roar
    - fuzz universe
    - the last rock and roll star
    - olympic
    - rock me baby
    - scarified
    - Norwegian cowbell
    - will my screen door stop neptune
    - green-tinted sixties mind
    - technical difficulties
    - roundabout
    - batter up
    - light my fire
    - Propeller
    - I want to be loved
    - Little wing
    - Down to Mexico
    - I'm not addicted
    - Go down

I've got tons of show and soundcheck pics as well, need to sort through them. Overall, it was a good night.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Awesome! You are some lucky dude! Paul is my favorite, I wish I could participate to one of his clinic! Thanks for sharing!

PS Is that a RGR565 that you are holding? Or the new RGR465 reissue?
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

That's cool!
      I'd love to go to one of his VIP-sessions some day, but (besides I think it's quite a lot of money) I fear I simply suck too much to have any serious profit from a lesson with Paul...

Sounds like you had a good time!
      I wish he played down to mexico in cologne as well this year, love that song!!
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
        Awesome! You are some lucky dude! Paul is my favorite, I wish I could participate to one of his clinic! Thanks for sharing!

PS Is that a RGR565 that you are holding? Or the new RGR465 reissue?
        It's a 465. Good guitar for the money.

Originally posted by micha View Post
        That's cool!
        I'd love to go to one of his VIP-sessions some day, but (besides I think it's quite a lot of money) I fear I simply suck too much to have any serious profit from a lesson with Paul...

Sounds like you had a good time!
        I wish he played down to mexico in cologne as well this year, love that song!!
        I'd say that the clinic gives you an insight into his playing that you don't really get from watching him live or on the video, plus it's tons of fun after you get past the "holy shit I'm playing in front of PG" nervous wreck phase.

Down to Mexico was cool, he played and sang the tune without the band backing him up.

Comment

double post!

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
            it's tons of fun after you get past the "holy shit I'm playing in front of PG" nervous wreck phase.
            I thought the lesson goes for just 1 1/2 hours?
            But I believe it's a great experience. Playing guitar with Paul Gilbert comes right after swimming with dolphins...

Comment

Whoa! I've met & talked with Mr. Gilbert, but way cool that you could jam with him!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

PG really gets around...

Comment

Lucky, lucky, lucky. PG is definitely my favorite player of all time. I don't know if I could play in front of him without being a nervous wreck, jamming on Warren Demartini's original crossed swords Charvel (while he watched) was tough enough.

Comment

Here's a shot of Paul Gilbert I took a couple years back at at NAMM during his Racer X reunion show. If you look in the background you can see the THD Hot Plate sitting on top of his Marshall Randy Rhoads amps. The JVM is a nice sounding amp but that Rhoads Marshall is just killer! Gilbert was, and still is a monster player!
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      Here's a shot of Paul Gilbert I took a couple years back at at NAMM during his Racer X reunion show. If you look in the background you can see the THD Hot Plate sitting on top of his Marshall Randy Rhoads amps. The JVM is a nice sounding amp but that Rhoads Marshall is just killer! Gilbert was, and still is a monster player!
                      No question, he knows his way around the fretboard. I asked him why he didn't have a lot of treble on his amp and he said "I haven't got any treble in my ears!" and "I turn it down because if I use too much treble I'm afraid that I'll kill the audience". It's a shame his hearing is so whacked.

Comment

He should ask someone he trusts for the amount of treble.
                        I also thought his sound was a bit muddy this time, I just thought this was his preference, taste changes every now and then.
                        I didn't even think of he might not be able to check that himself anymore...

But that's just what happens if you use multiple full stacks on stage.
                        There was a pic of his old amp-wall somewhere on the Racer X homepage together with some diagrams of his hearing loss...
                        Sure, hearing loss is no fun, especially for a pro-musician, but he seems to have some humour on this topic.

He just should have protected his ears right from the start, but tell that to a teenager...

Comment

At NAMM his sound wasn't muddy. But yeah, it sucks to lose hearing ability. I don't blame him one bit for wearing the big headphones.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                          X