Music that makes you dumb...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music that makes you dumb...

Somebody bothered to investigate the correlation between SAT scores and music preferences.

Anything Eurodance/House should be bottom of the barrel

hell, it dumbed down an entire generation (could also have been the weed and XTC)
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

On a somewhat related note...

http://blog.natkin.net/taylor-swift

Paul's blog is my favorite photography based blog because the dude has been in the biz forever and he doesn't hold back when he feels the need to blast somebody. You may have seem his work on the cover of Ozzy's Tribute album.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm surprised all Rap, R&B and Country fans seem to be all the same compared to System of a Down fans which cover up a quite huge field of possible scores.
        Further it's hard to believe the usual Jazz fan is way below the Green Day fan for example.
        Green Day got what? Three chords?!
        And this huge gap between Beethoven and Classical is ridiculous.

This graphic is colorful and nice and everything, but I have the feel it's BS as well...
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

How broadly the research was conducted?
          Was it only internet, specifically Facebook based?
          If yes, then why the document isn't worded in a way that it describes a certain research group in a specific environment.
          The data is based on how many people?
          Certified documents proving the intelligence level of these people is openly available where?
          The explanation of why certain results in certain tests prove the intelligence level of human beings?
          Where is the scientific evidence how a particular type of music makes someone dumb?

Until then dear Mr. Griffith listen to Ludwig Van and go fuck yourself.

Sincerely - a music lover and a skeptic.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I never judged a person's smarts strictly on their SAT scores, fukk, they give you 200 for spelling your name correctly.
            The music people listen to and like doesn't make them smart or dumb, it only proves if they have shit in their ears or not-lol

Sincerely- A music lover, abuse hurler, and stamper of Endrik as an apalling young man.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I do think its funny, true or not, that Lil Wayne is the bottom of the barrel.
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

i think Lil Wayne at 876 is overrated-lol
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Micha, endrik, I too find some of the results peculiar, especially the Beethoven thing - looks like an outlier or something. You can read more about how exactly this was done at

http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr/

You are of course right to be sceptical and the data was collected in a practical yet somewhat dubious way. It is based on the correlation between the average SAT scores of various schools and the music favorites at those same schools. Frankly, I interpret this is kind of a joke more than a serious study. If you're interested in reading about all the fucked up statistical analysis that has been applied over the years, go visit

http://www.badscience.net/

or buy Ben Goldacre's book. It's really cheap and a very good and interesting read.

Comment

It's out of 2400 now... lol
                    Ratt & Roll

Comment

The thing that one should be careful about is, of course, what exactly to conclude from such a study, i.e., can we generalize from what we have observed or can we only conclude something very specific about the students who are studying at a particular set of schools at this point in time. And correlation does not imply causation, of course, which makes the title a deliberate joke.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                        Micha, endrik, I too find some of the results peculiar, especially the Beethoven thing - looks like an outlier or something. You can read more about how exactly this was done at

http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr/

You are of course right to be sceptical and the data was collected in a practical yet somewhat dubious way. It is based on the correlation between the average SAT scores of various schools and the music favorites at those same schools. Frankly, I interpret this is kind of a joke more than a serious study. If you're interested in reading about all the fucked up statistical analysis that has been applied over the years, go visit

http://www.badscience.net/

or buy Ben Goldacre's book. It's really cheap and a very good and interesting read.
                        I also believe it could be a joke, his similar "research" about books looks even sillier.
                        But due the fact that so much pseudo-scientific crap is spread out lately I'm forming my friendly stock reply to all that kind of bullshit.

Goldacre's "Bad Science" should be read in schools. Specially now, in the era of over sensationalized media where journalists don't even site sources and promote stupidity which lack any kind of honest research.

But one of the problems I have with this particular thing is the classical music factor. A lot of people lie about this, to seem more intelligent I suppose. For example whenever I see someone mentioning Beethoven, Mozart and Bach in a row and no one else I'm automatically thinking bullshit! Often serious Beethoven fans don't give a shit about Mozart but rather listen to Mahler or Chopin.

The other problem is that "researches" like this give people the reason to feel superior over others with such irrelevant excuses like taste of music. A lot of people do take this shit seriously.
                        Pretty much all of us have seen or experienced some type of subculture wars. Metalheads vs rappers vs punks vs techno fans etc.
                        People adapt stupid pack mentality and start hating other packs based on the taste of music and later attach other characteristics to it. Same kind of reasoning the fascists had, looking for pseudo-scientific evidence to feel superior over gypsies, jews etc.
                        I remember in the 90's and early 00's when I used to go to metal events, there were always those who were blabbering all the time how stupid and un-intelligent the others are, just because they listen to different music, specially mainstream music, yet many of those whiners were into esotericism, homeopathy, pagan mysticism, new age pseudo-science, crappy fantasy novels, cheesy mainstream horror movies etc. and took all that pretty seriously. They also used to hang out with skinheads and shared many of the nationalistic and racists beliefs with them.
                        Yet my physics teacher who was very intelligent listened to ridiculous, embarrassing crap.
                        I believe someone who questions someone's intelligence based on the taste in entertainment, art, clothing etc. lacks the wit necessary to question someone because of its stupidity.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I doubt this is anything more than a joke, but the thing that I find most hilarious about it is that the guy's title and domain name show that he has no clue about the difference between causality & correlation. Not trying to be harsh, but whatever your SAT score is, if you can't figure that one simple thing out you're a fucking moron and are doomed to a life of being led around by other morons.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                            Often serious Beethoven fans don't give a shit about Mozart but rather listen to Mahler or Chopin.

Just reminded me of that scene...
                            But seriously, I understand one could prefer Beethoven, but I doubt any Beethoven-fan doesn't "give a shit" about Mozart.
                            Sounds a little harsh to me...

But I agree on your point about classical beeing about the image.
                            That keeps people who don't give a shit about music and just like to be seen going to opera or concert and what's even worse: the truly interessted or at least open minded away from these events due to a lack of suitable wardrobe or a general feel of beeing out of place...
                            That sucks.
                            tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                              I doubt this is anything more than a joke, but the thing that I find most hilarious about it is that the guy's title and domain name show that he has no clue about the difference between causality & correlation. Not trying to be harsh, but whatever your SAT score is, if you can't figure that one simple thing out you're a fucking moron and are doomed to a life of being led around by other morons.
                              Check his webpage... "Yes, I'm aware correlation ≠ causation. The results are hilarity incarnate regardless of causality. You can stop sending me email about this distinction. Thanks."

Comment

Working...
                              X