Sometimes ya have to watch your "friends"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes ya have to watch your "friends"

A so called friend (really thought she was) gave me a Kona beat up electric acoustic guitar awhile back. Old thread http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/112403-Kona-K2

I got the neck adjusted, got the electronics up and running, a set of new strings and polished it up. Just had to work on getting that name off.

Anyhow...tonight, her ex boyfriend comes by, hasn't seen her in a couple of weeks, she's back on drugs etc, ,etc. He's wondered if we've seen her. We're here talking, he looks over at my guitar rack and says..wow, that looks just like my old guitar, except it was in BAD shape, not clean like that one. My girlfriend stole it a month or 2 ago...yep, it was the same guitar.

I picked it up and gave it back to him. He offered to pay me for the work done etc, but that just wouldn't be right. Anyhow, I realized my "friend" wasn't, and I reunited a guy with his guitar.

Feels pretty damn alright!

Wow, that sucks. You can't trust people on hard drugs at all, they have an angle for everything they do and they don't process ownership of anything. When my own brother was in the throes of cocaine addiction he would borrow stuff from me "for a gig" and it would inevitably be pawned off to... a) buy more drugs or b)pay someone off before they hospitalized him.

And you're fucked in those situations because you either have to give him the cash to get it out of hock (you'd better go with him if you ever want to see that cash or guitar again) or press theft charges against your own family.

Hard drugs = very bad. You can't control them, they control you. Even soft drugs (booze, weed) can ruin your life if you can't moderate.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

right on man. sucks but shows how good of a guy you are. i've lost all types of shit to "friends" but then again i was one of those too. now i just drink every now and then(usually at shows) and smoke my marlboro menthols.....pall malls if i'm feelin broke and newports if i'm feelin rich. lol. i knew this couple that would show up and be like hey can we borrow a few bucks for groceries, or can i use your bike so i can get back an forth to work while my cars in the shop, etc. yeah i might've got paid back the $20 til it became a $100 loan then i wouldnt see em for months. they'd have the $100 but would be hittin me up in a few days for somethin else. known em for years, since we were kids. damn hard to not wanna help em out, but then i wasnt really helpin em out. just helpin em stay in so i had to cut those "friends" out of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
        right on man. sucks but shows how good of a guy you are.
        Guitarsjb is a woman. Jeri is indeed a good one.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That was awfully nice of you. Good that there are people around who have a sense of right and wrong.

Comment

Know all about having to watch whos your friend. I still technically own a guitar but havent had it in my possession in 2 1\2 years. I lent it to a friend who was in a band with me at the time. I moved about 45 min. out of town not long after and kind of lost touch with a few people including him, but ran across him one day while visiting someone else (the guys one of those couch to couch kind of guys) and got to talking to him and the guitar came up. So I asked him if he would mind if I could get it back and he said yes(figured 2 1/2 years is long enough for a loan). He said hed run right over to where he said it was and bring it back. He never did show back up that day, I waited like 2 hours or something. Hes still alive by all accounts but I dont pursue it or him anymore. I knew better when I lent it to him that his wife had mangled at least one of his guitars and hed pawned a couple of his before for rent(the short time he had his own place) and smoke money, but at least he could be honest with me about it. It wasnt that extravagant of a guitar (not a Jackson, but was kind of a cool piece).

Anyhow, long story short, Im veeeery hesitant to loan to anyone anymore, friend or otherwise. Almost half tempted to not leave my stuff at the rehearsal space because of another incident that happened about a week ago involving a dog, my Randall 412 cab and a big chunk of tolex thats now missing from the front of it. He offered to have it fixed but dont know where Id take it to have it done and pretty sure it would be more money than hed have at once and it would just get put off and put off, so I havent pursued that either. Live and learn and dont trust your gear with anyone.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Good story I enjoyed it.
              You've got class.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Very cool of you to do, Jeri! Sorry you had the expense to deal with. It takes a lot of good folks to balance out all the bad out there, and you more than do your part.

Comment

not meaning to be negative, and you know these people i don't but, hopefully it wasn't a scam as in her boyfriend coming over to act like that to just coerce you knowing you a good person to give it back or something so they can both go buy drugs with it or something. hopefully

Comment

I once loaned a Boss GT-8 to a friend, but I borrowed his Marshall amp. Always do it this way, in case they try to run off with your gear.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                      I once loaned a Boss GT-8 to a friend, but I borrowed his Marshall amp. Always do it this way, in case they try to run off with your gear.
                      so this is called friendship these days?
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Nope, no worries there Trem. Thanks everyone for "listening"

Comment

That was super cool of you...nothing but class Jeri

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                            so this is called friendship these days?
                            What he's trying to say, in a roundabout way, is that he "pitches and catches". I think.
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                              What he's trying to say, in a roundabout way, is that he "pitches and catches". I think.
                              Well, you would. Only a stupid ghey troll would think of something like that.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X