No announcement yet.

Ebay Headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sell stuff in the classifieds here for what I think are good prices. I try to hopefully give some other guys a chance to pick up something I can't/won't use for a great price. If it it's not worth it to ship, a lot of times I throw it away.

The last couple of times I accepted PayPal. I'm not sure I'll do that again... Basically I just had to have PayPal send me a check or use the PayPal funds for a purchase from someplace that acccepts PayPal - which is mainly Ebay, which is mainly junk I don't want.

I have yet to sell a guitar. I trade them in or sell them at Guitar Center. Maybe I lose a couple hundred bucks... It's worth the peace of mind to not have some weirdos from craigslist over to the house. But I generally don't buy stuff to flip it - in fact the guitars I've gotten rid of have pretty much been ones I bought off Ebay that I wouldn't have bought but weren't "not as described" or returnable, so it's not like I'm hemorrhaging money over the deal anyway.

So, basically, fuck Ebay.

Comment

Well, I like Ebay, but I've been on there since 1999 so they mostly pull the nastiest bullshit on the newbies. I wouldn't put up with it if I were a newbie - but I'm not, so I don't have to.

So, basically, YAY Ebay for me!
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Read your post from the RSS feed before you edited it out. EBay's fees are ridiculous. I stopped selling on their when they took away buyer feedback (given by the seller) and forced everyone to use Paypal (owned by Ebay). It was a fantastic site back in the late 90s. It was all Joe Schmoes selling out of their house. You could get great deals on things. Then it got taken over by companies who realized they could do e-commerce without getting their own website. Ebay has done nothing but raise fees and increase small-time seller restrictions since then.

Try out Craigslist next time. You'll get a lot of lowballers, and the market is smaller, but you get cash for the item. Otherwise, post the item on the classifieds of a forum dedicated to the type of item. Here for guitar stuff, AVSForum for home theater stuff, Audiogon for stereo stuff, etc.
        Scott

Comment

I'm an Ebay addict. Although Typically I am only a buyer. I think in 10 years, I've only sold 3 or so items.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
            I'm an Ebay addict. Although Typically I am only a buyer. I think in 10 years, I've only sold 3 or so items.
            Yes, and buyers get the red carpet rolled out. Any seller not selling 100+ items a year gets screwed on the fees.
            Scott

Comment

I can't recall what I have paid in fees. If I got screwed, I probably chocked it up as the cost of doing business on there.
              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

E-Bache
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                  I'm not an ebay addict, but I'm mainly a buyer, and I've probably only sold about 4 things there in the 8 years or so since I've been on there. ebay is such a hassle for sellers nowadays and I can't be bothered with that crap any more.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It depends where you live as to whether it's worth selling, too. In this area CL usually has high asking prices and lowballers when you try to sell. Fedex is 5 miles from my house and they are cheaper and safer than UPS, I'd rather do that than have people over. As I said, I can get more on Ebay anyway so the fees are paid for by that and I don't have sketchy people in the house. Which is important since I rent a room from a friend, I can't have traffic in his house anyway.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I don't really have a problem with ebay. Accept it - your shit is worth less than you think.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

I haven't sold alot on Ebay, but they do have a huge market. Alot of people see it, and I have managed to get a better price selling there then trading in/selling at a local music shop. Yes there are fees, and yes it can be a pain, but stuff that'll sit on CL or even here forever will get sold. If I'm trying to get same dough together for something, Ebay is always an option here.

Comment

Working...
                        X