best metal radio stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best metal radio stations

just like the thread says, I'm looking for some good hard rock/metal stations. can't pick up crap on our radio at work, so I tune in to streaming radio stations on the iphone hooked up to the radio and am looking for some new good stations. So far the best I've found is KIBZ, the Blaze out of Nebraska. I'm into everything, love 80's metal/hard rock, all the way up to newer metal/rock,... it needs to be a streaming radio station, that way I know it's censored (other people will be listening too). What makes KIBZ stick out is playing the harder new stuff but almost every day I'll have a "Fuck, did they just play Say what you will by Fastway?" moment. I also like KLBJ in Austin, very eclectic, never know what you'll hear, one day it was SRV Couldn't stand the weather, then something off the new Ratt album, then some Tool, then Drivin N Cryin.

there's no bad suggestions, I'll try em all if I can tune them in on my iphone app.
    For the aid of the sarcastically challenged, smartass comments will now be denoted in orange. Thank you for your support.

KNAC ruled the airwaves when I was in LA.

http://www.knac.com/

Comment

KATT in Oklahoma City used to be pretty killer..haven't listened much since I got XM radio

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        KNAC ruled the airwaves when I was in LA.

http://www.knac.com/
        yeah, actually the whole reason I bought the iphone app I got (ootunes) was because I couldn't pick up KNAC with anything else. they're still good, but it's wierd, it's not the real KNAC, maybe it's all the music they play without commercials or DJ's, but I don't mind hearing those occasionally.
        For the aid of the sarcastically challenged, smartass comments will now be denoted in orange. Thank you for your support.

Comment

I think I cried when KNAC went off the air. I was there in line for the Last Tee Shirt. I think my wife was pregnant with our first son. He now wears that Tee shirt. I was there when it went off the air and became a Mexican radio. Internet is awesome, as well as Sirius / XM. I still have a bunch of KNAC stickers I saved.

LONG LIVE KNAC.

Here in Cinci, we have WEBN, and a maybe some others. Cleveland had some better stations when I worked up there a few years ago. Nashville might have some, but the rental car has Sirius and I'm locked into the Boneyard 90% of the time and Hairmetal the other 10%.

Come to think about it, that's why I hang out here more than on any other forum. Jacksons are about Metal and I love metal. Always have always will. I used to hang out on the LPF but blues bores me, and Led Zep is just OK.
          Last edited by DonP; 10-12-2010, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I listened to WEBN all the time when I worked in Cinti (97-00.) They carried Bubba the Love Sponge then. Good stuff.
            "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

89.5 WSOU http://www.wsou.net/
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I think I cried when KNAC went off the air.
                "It's A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock n Roll"

I remember

I still have a bunch of KNAC stickers I saved.
                Me too - somewhere!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

well here's how dumb my ass is, I had no idea it was an internet only station now. Never got a chance to appreciate it. btw, I know, wiki's can be wrong, but according to that the last song was Fade to Black. Either way, 2 great choices as a final song.

Comment

XM radio- Hair Nation, the Boneyard, Faction

Comment

Originally posted by dustin1969 View Post
                      well here's how dumb my ass is, I had no idea it was an internet only station now. Never got a chance to appreciate it. btw, I know, wiki's can be wrong, but according to that the last song was Fade to Black. Either way, 2 great choices as a final song.
                      The AC/DC song was the first song played under the new format in '86 - I believe it was.
                      IIRC I was actually tuned in to 105.5 at the time, not realizing the station was changing formats.

I was under the impression that it was also the last...anybody else confirm?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yes Ron, Long way to the Top was both the first and last song that KNAC played on the air.

Confirmed.

Can I take a time machine back to 1986?

Comment

don,
                          i was driving to work one morning and i turn on the radio
                          and i hear "Feliz navidad" over and over and over. KNAC played
                          that song for the whole month, nothing else. I almost drove my bronco
                          off the 405 into a tree in confusion and anger. There was no warning
                          of the oncoming change. i got hostile.
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                            XM radio- Hair Nation, the Boneyard, Faction
                            Yes, I have sat radio, but unfortunately those 2 channels are the main 2 I like and are uncensored. A customer using our restroom heard the f bomb on there one day, so now I can't listen to sat radio

Comment

Btw, I'm really diggin the cincy station so far. Pretty good mix so far. Thanks for the suggestions

Another related question. Anyone know of any cool weekly shows besides Eddie trunk and rockline? I used to love the biscuit when they'd play the occasional metal/hard rock concert and would like to hear more concert shows, interview shows, etc

Comment

Working...
                              X