Ran when parked - in 1979

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran when parked - in 1979

Interesting Jalopnik blog/article about obtaining a 1969 Cadillac "barn find"

http://jalopnik.com/5659757/ran-when-parked-in-1979
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Wonder how much he paid?
    They are still around.
    I would think more of them in South Carolina
    than in the Chicago area.

There is a place not too far from me that
    has a grabber blue Boss 302 stored in a shed.
    Only problem is it is guarded by a reclusive old woman
    who is reputed to sneak a shotgun out the window at
    anyone that gets out of their car to ask about it!

Comment

I had a '68 Coupe de Ville convertible for the longest time; just had to get rid of it last year...

Comment

I've never dreamed of owning a boat like that thing.

Comment

Oh but they are cool.
          Nothing quite like an old Caddy, and very fine wine, and vintage cigars!

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
            Nothing quite like an old Caddy, and very fine wine, and vintage cigars!
            I hope you are being sarcastic because I wouldn't consider a '69 Caddy an epicurean delight. Of course YMMV--except with this car since you'll likely get less than five miles per gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
              --except with this car since you'll likely get less than five miles per gallon.
              I hope you are being sarcastic because in a good state of tune one can obtain 11 or 12 MPG easy.

Comment

Nice car. I had a 69 convertible deville. 472. It was a rag but it hauled ass when needed. I got rear ended at a stoplight with it by a car doing 40 mph. It was a 79 malibu and was totaled half way up the hood. The officer at the scene asked me what I was doing at the scene of the accident and to get lost and stop rubbernecking. I then informed him that I was the one rear ended. He looked at the back of my car and shook his head. it put a few dings and bends in my bumper and bent the tailpipe but I was able to drive away. The ladys malibu was a total wreck. Allstate gave me $900 bucks to fix the car I paid $600 for and I drove it for another year before selling it for $750. That car was a tank for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  ...in a good state of tune one can obtain 11 or 12 MPG easy.
                  Wow, 12 mpg.

I know someone who hit an I-beam that was cemented into the ground in a car like this. It dented the bumper. These cars are great if you are in an accident provided it's not with another big boat.

Comment

I bought a 69 Dodge Charger for next to nothing when I was a teenager, it was last registered and had been parked since 1988, I bought it in 98. Fired right up I only had to change the fuel filters and clean the sludge out of the tank, ran 100% after that. I had to sell it because I was leaving to college that same year and had a crazy older brother that would not let me park it at my parents house as he would vandalize it repeatedly, jealousy and meth dont mix I guess.

The thing was all original, 383 matching numbers even the hide away headlights worked and no rust, thing would be worth a easy 35k today. God I still hate my brother to this day, I have no idea why I am sharing all this.
                    Last edited by AK47; 10-12-2010, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Great read Ron, thanks for sharing.....

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                        I bought a 69 Dodge Charger for next to nothing when I was a teenager, it was last registered and had been parked since 1988, I bought it in 98. Fired right up I only had to change the fuel filters and clean the sludge out of the tank, ran 100% after that. I had to sell it because I was leaving to college that same year and had a crazy older brother that would not let me park it at my parents house as he would vandalize it repeatedly, jealousy and meth dont mix I guess.

The thing was all original, 383 matching numbers even the hide away headlights worked and no rust, thing would be worth a easy 35k today. God I still hate my brother to this day, I have no idea why I am sharing all this.
                        Yup, I had lots of sweet Mopars in the day, all gone now:

-1969 Charger 383 (stolen by roommate, driven to Gulfport, MS where the engine blew. I donated it to a church)

-1968 Charger 440 (looked almost like the bad guy's car in Bullitt, this was my favorite, bought it in 1984, held on to it as long as I could, was also getting vandalized at the storage yard, had to sell around 1990, $700)

-1970 Plymouth GTX (no brakes, driver's seat only, it donated the 440 for above), sold this beast for $500 in the 80s to a couple guys in Bellflower, CA

-1970 Dart GT, orange (would still see this around Downey, CA in the early 2000s)

Comment

Working...
                        X