Help Choosing a Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Choosing a Computer

I am looking for a new computer for my parents—nothing too fancy—it’s for the net and word processing. I’ve always made my own PC’s, but it’s been a long time since I’ve had to and I don’t know what the current specs are for a good computer.

What are good specifications for a CPU, RAM, L2 cache, video card and mother board? I have a sata HDD and DVD burner as well as an LCD monitor, etc., so a barebones system from Newegg or a similar store might be a good way to go.

TIA

Hello.

For processor you could do anything. a dual-core CPU will work fine for surfing the web and word processing. Any motherboard would work, I would use ASUS (The onboard stuff is generally better than most other mobos and I find ASUS mobos to be solid as hell.) and forget a graphics card (or go the i3 route and use the integrated intel)... The onboard will be fine. Either do 2 or 4 GB of DDR2 and you can keep this PC easily less than a grand. I'd say probably around 800$ (20% tax included), with a decent case.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

If it's just for web browsing and word processing get them a nettop. It's like a netbook but in desktop format. It should do what they want, be simple to use and be quite cheap. I've heard the Acer Aspire Revos are good.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

800$ sounds way too much in my opinion.
        for surfing and some office Grim's specs will easily be enough, but over here I could get such a mashine in my favourite small store next door for around 220$.
        that includes an HDD and optical drive, so without it would most likely be even less.

I could be wrong, but I'd be really surprised if hardware was that much cheaper over here than it is in the US.
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by micha View Post
          800$ sounds way too much in my opinion.
          for surfing and some office Grim's specs will easily be enough, but over here I could get such a mashine in my favourite small store next door for around 220$.
          that includes an HDD and optical drive, so without it would most likely be even less.

I could be wrong, but I'd be really surprised if hardware was that much cheaper over here than it is in the US.
          I am in Canada, and I find it highly unlikely you'll spec that PC out with a PSU and decent case for $220. We're talking $100-$200 for the CPU alone.

Also, because I did that mockup on a store computer, It auto-added 13% sales tax.
          Last edited by Grim; 10-13-2010, 07:38 AM.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

oops, you're right.
            I got the currency convertion the wrong way, but I guess ~400$ will be just fine.
            my bad.

and in all honesty, if his parents are not gamers who need 200Watts alone to get the grafics running, I doubt the system will need more than 130Watts for surfing and office.
            even a small 300W PSU will be more than enough for these tasks.

oh, and I'm talking prices without OS, keyboards and such.

sure, 800$ is a budget were you can get really high quality components, but at least my parents low budged computer is working really well for years now.
            tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by micha View Post
              oops, you're right.
              I got the currency convertion the wrong way, but I guess ~400$ will be just fine.
              my bad.

and in all honesty, if his parents are not gamers who need 200Watts alone to get the grafics running, I doubt the system will need more than 130Watts for surfing and office.
              even a small 300W PSU will be more than enough for these tasks.

oh, and I'm talking prices without OS, keyboards and such.

sure, 800$ is a budget were you can get really high quality components, but at least my parents low budged computer is working really well for years now.
              This was priced with a 500W PSU.

and there is Windows Home Premium included, 64-bit.

also keep in mind the 13% tax added.
              Last edited by Grim; 10-13-2010, 07:38 AM.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

I just cut an i3 system with a 430W PSU (the lowest we carry), and I'm getting a consistent ~$750 with middle-of-the line specs, OS included.

Deduct 13% and you get $600. This is with a nice $120 case. Lowering the case to a $50 Antec 200, we get $666 with 13% tax. Cutting the tax out, we're at $532. OS + Keyboard/Mouse included (these are just regular Logitech)

It's doable for cheap, that's for sure.

And yes, I am at the store right now pricing these. I was at home for a bit and I went back, just for you! (Not really, don't flatter yourself.)

EDIT: Please, don't take this as a sales pitch. I just decided to price some stuff out for you, and I only ship in-province.
                Last edited by Grim; 10-13-2010, 07:39 AM.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                  Lowering the case to a $50 Antec 200, we get $666 with 20% tax.
                  There is no computer more METAL!
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Hey guys, thanks! I didn’t expect this much of a response.

@Grim: I think Asus and Abit are great companies. I’ve made all of my desktops—never purchased one new—or even in kit form. My last PC was a raid system w/five HDD’s (a bridge drive and two separate OS’s) that lasted eight years until the chipset fan croaked and took the whole mb with it. Right now I’m using a laptop and my parents are using a computer I built 10 years ago.

I was thinking this would be great for them and it meets Grim’s specs but at a far lower price point (about $220 USD delivered): http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6727564&Sku=B69-0241

My father was thinking of buying this and I would be off the hook for tech support and the initial build ($450 USD + tax): http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p6610f-Desktop-PC/product_905276_HC2?cmArea=SEARCH

Is anyone aware of any short comings with the stuff I’ve listed?

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                      Hey guys, thanks! I didn’t expect this much of a response.

@Grim: I think Asus and Abit are great companies. I’ve made all of my desktops—never purchased one new—or even in kit form. My last PC was a raid system w/five HDD’s (a bridge drive and two separate OS’s) that lasted eight years until the chipset fan croaked and took the whole mb with it. Right now I’m using a laptop and my parents are using a computer I built 10 years ago.

I was thinking this would be great for them and it meets Grim’s specs but at a far lower price point (about $220 USD delivered): http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6727564&Sku=B69-0241

My father was thinking of buying this and I would be off the hook for tech support and the initial build ($450 USD + tax): http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p6610f-Desktop-PC/product_905276_HC2?cmArea=SEARCH

Is anyone aware of any short comings with the stuff I’ve listed?

That barebones one is more than fine. I was doing i3 quotes, which is why mine was more expensive, but the barebones will do the web and word processing easily.

I can't see the HP one (I am in Canada), but I am sure it will be good too. Although HPs have a reputation for having heat problems.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

why not get them a laptop? I just got an i3 duo core, 4GB, 500G HD, HD-LED display, win7 64 etc for a hair over $600.00. So simple to set up and use which would keep the questions you get from mom and dad to a minmum
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks, Grim.

Shawn, they already have a netbook and have used my laptop. I think they like a large monitor and separate keyboard. The whole setup is a different feel compared to a laptop. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                          X