DLR: Eat 'Em And Smile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLR: Eat 'Em And Smile

Picked up the CD tonight. Had the album when it came out.

Holy.
    Shit.

Vai and Sheehan stomp ass on that album.

Eddie Van Wholen?

The speed and clarity of Vai's technique - well before he started burying everything under tons of Eventide gear, and when he still played something somewhat close to "boring old Pentatonics and semi-exotic" scales (not the whacked out shit he did later).

And of course Dave's "fuck you, Ed" attitude that just gushes from every song.

Damn.

If you haven't heard this one in years, I suggest you do.
    Take anti-depressants first
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Yup, that's an awesome album. 36 (or whatever it is) minutes of some of my favourite music ever...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

lol, love the album - and skyscraper too - when the video for yankee rose came out, we were all high sitting around just laughing our asses off at it and shitting our pants at the same time, and the older pot dealer dude that had every album known to man was like - that right there is hard core fucking sleaze that shit makes motley crue really look like just a bunch of punk kids wearing makeup - this shit right here is bourbon and cigars and then went on the describe how one day dave would be doing vegas and shit,.......irony.

Comment

I'll keep an eye out for it.

I liked Shy-Boy for some reason. Is that on Skyscrapper?

Comment

Shy Boy is on Eat 'em and Smile. Great record...I was lucky enough to see this tour. Just an incredible spectacle. Greg Bissonette is no slouch on drums either. One of the most technically proficient hard rock bands ever assembled IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jk2171 View Post
            Greg Bissonette is no slouch on drums either. One of the most technically proficient hard rock bands ever assembled IMO.
            +1 here! I give this album some regular plays in my MP3 player.
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

What always amazed me by the band for those first two albums was the energy they played with live. And the volume... I definitely took some ear damage at the Eat Em and Smile tour show. Also two of my favorite all-time albums and the thing that made me a Vai fanboy back in the day.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by jk2171 View Post
                One of the most technically proficient hard rock bands ever assembled IMO.
                Indeed.
                In my mind then and today as well, it was a superstar rock band.
                All the right musicians with the right attitudes creating some very magical talented music.

Seen the show here in Indy when it came through and it was complete energy from start to finish.
                There are boots of out there and I highly recommend anyone that hasn't seen it acquiring a boot of the "Eat and Smile" show. Vai and Sheenan's solo moment was incredible.
                I remember Vai laying the guitar down flat on a speaker and playing a solo note for note and not missing a beat was total showmanship. Dave command the stage like no other and had the audience from start to finish. Thus the whole show was pure rock n roll high octane style and great showmanship. Money and an evening well spent I recall.

They don't do it like that anymore. Great stuff.

Today everybody is angry.
                Life then was so different than today it was the eighties - rock on - the 80's was one big party and the music was an extension of it.
                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I saw Roth on the Eat 'Em and Smile tour. It was only like their third or fourth live show (Charlotte, NC) and the band was tight!
                  Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

One of the greatest albums ever recorded IMHO. If it don't put a big cheesy grin on your face when you spin it there's something badly wrong with you.

"Gimme a bottle o' anything, and a glazed donut.... TO GO!!"

Comment

Saw the tour in Biloxi. Vai and Sheehan's solo antics - chasing each other around the stage in a mock "gunfight" type of duel - were amazing in that they were playing technical parts with stunning accuracy AND running around the stage doing their duellist routine.

Greg's drum solo came up and he walks completely around the kit, still playing it the whole time - even had a kick pedal on the front of the drum

I was sitting up in the seats, rather than on the floor level.

Then I notice there's something blocking my view of the stage, and it's a pipe of some kind, like for plumbing. Suddenly the spotlight comes on and Dave's on a platform out in the middle of the floor behind the crowd, close to the mixer.

Total awesomeness.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Eddie Van Wholen?

And of course Dave's "fuck you, Ed" attitude that just gushes from every song.
                        I could not agree more.

I really liked Van Halen as a kid and loved my Diver Down VH painter's hat that was oh so popular back in the day. Although I liked a few tunes, I didn't care much for Sammy, and was a little apprehensive about him joining the band. I remember Eat 'em and Smile and 5150 came out right around the same time. Bought them both, loved Eat 'em and Smile, and HATED 5150. I actually remember throwing the cassette out after a few listens (I still would like my $8.49 back, Ed) and haven't given a damn about Van Halen since.

Great fucking record.

Sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yep, awesome album and killer live show. I saw the show at the old OMNI in Atlanta. Cinderella was the opening band, they had just released Night Songs.
                          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
                            Yep, awesome album and killer live show. I saw the show at the old OMNI in Atlanta. Cinderella was the opening band, they had just released Night Songs.
                            Cinderella opened the show here in Indy and they were a good opening band as well.
                            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM.
                              Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
                              X