No announcement yet.

What's your string brand of choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GHG Boomers 10-46 on all guitars. Been that way since the late 80's for me.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

GHS on all fiddles.
      They have always been very consistent regardless of gauge.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
        D'Addarios XL 9-42 for the past 20 yrs. Although, I have recently tried the E.Ball Hybrid 9-46 and like the heavier tone the thicker bottom strings provide. I just got a set Roto Sound 9-42's I will be trying. Michael Schenker seems to think they play/sound good.
        Thank you thank you...I've always wanted some kind of solution like this, but didn't want to buy two packs of strings for every change. I didn't realize the string manufacturers were selling 'custom/hybrid' packages like this. A 9,11,16,26,36,46 setup would be perfect for me, as I like the lower gauge top strings, with the heavier bottom.
        I did some research on this, and it seems that not only do pretty much all the manufacturers sell this setup...but they also sell coated and non-coated strings in this configuration.

So as I had mentioned, I just started using Elixirs (coated) on a few of my guitars. They don't seem to be as bright as non-coated strings. I'm definitely going to make the switch to this gauge setup...but I'm still trying to decide on coated or non-coated. I'd sure love to hear your experiences between the two.
        Money isn't an object here...I'd rather just have the better string. Is there really a substantial difference in sound between the two?
        I look forward to your comments...I don't want to buy a bunch of sets of strings before I get some second opinions.
        Thanks.
        Todd M

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
          Ernie Ball .10-52s.
          Yep....Skinny top, Heavy bottom...

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
            Yep....Skinny top, Heavy bottom...
            I like the other way around, to be honest.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
              I like the other way around, to be honest.
              I was thinkin the same thing
              Todd M

Comment

Been using GHS Boomers since '86 or '87 when I started playing, 10-46 for E or Eb. I like buying them from Carvin since they're less expensive (Boomers in Carvin packaging).
                Though, lately I've been liking the David Gilmour Boomers red pack 10.5 - 50 (10.5, 13, 17, 30, 40, 50). The Low Tunes Boomers 11-53 (11, 15, 19, 33, 43, 53) get used on my RR1-T for D/Drop C tuning.

DR 11-50 Hi-Beams are also nice, as are the Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky 11-48 set, but I prefer the Boomers.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I actually use whatever is on sale - nickle round wounds, .009 on long scale, .010 on short scale. Dean Markley is 5 packs for 10 bucks at GC this month.

Comment

Have tried and used a crap load of strings over the years, but always go back to D'Addario EXLs. I primarily used 9-42 gauge since I started playing in 1993, but recently made a switch to 9-46 and really like those. Also use 10-46 on some guitars. And thicker gauges for lower tunings.

Comment

I actually tried a 9-46 setup on my So Cal last night. It wasn't what I expected. I guess I've gotten spoiled with the lighter bottom strings. For many years, I used 10s exclusively...mainly because they sounded better through a loud amp, playing with a band. Once that ended, I tend to play at lower volume...or lately just through a pocket pod. So the "fattness" that I got from the heavier gauge strings when playing at high volume is no longer required. Perhaps that will change when I start gigging again. But for now, the 9s have been fine, sound-wise. I actually didn't like the hybrid setup...but will give it a chance. Maybe it will grow on me. Otherwise, I'm going to stick with 9's exclusively.

I'm still waiting to hear from some of you on regarding coated vs. non-coated. I've never used coated strings until recently...I've got a couple packs of Elixirs and have installed them on a few guitars now. I don't really notice too much of a change...perhaps a little more dull...but it's hard to say.
                      I've decided that I want to switch over to one type of string...just to make things easier..and if I do, it'll be the DRs. I really like them. But even DR has a coated string. So at this point, it's a decision of coated vs. non-coated.

I was also inquiring about the floyd rose specific strings that used to be really popular..does anyone know if you can still buy them. They're the strings with the flattened ball end...which fits in the lock block slot at the floyd end.

Thanks again.
                      Todd M

Comment

Ernie Ball Regular Slunkies on my strats and Power Slunkies on my Gibbos. Also - Power Slunkies on my Strats for down a half/whole step.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

D'Addario 9's for Fender-scale guitars... D'Addario 10's for Gibson-and-PRS-scale guitars. I've also had good luck with GHS "Fatties" in 10's (no longer sold) and DR Black Beauties as well.

Jim Dunlop MAX-GRIP picks totally rawk, BTW.

Comment

[QUOTE=
                            Jim Dunlop MAX-GRIP picks totally rawk, BTW.[/QUOTE]

Yes...I bought them a few months ago, and don't know how the hell I played guitar with anything other than 'grip' type picks for all those years before. There are a few others I could recommend....one that stands out in my mind, which absolutely rival the Dunlops, are the Snarly Dogs...Guitar Center carries them. They're as good, if not better than the Dunlops.
                            Glad you mentioned it.

Now..if someone would just reply to my comments on coated vs. non-coated, I'd be all set. Just need a couple opinions...that's all
                            Todd M

Comment

My take on coated strings is this: I've never had a problem with non-coated strings and I get plenty of life out of them, so why bother? Plus, I can get 3 packs of non-coated D'Addarios for the price of what one pack of coated cost. Further, when changing strings I like to pull them all and give the guitar a cleanup. Not sure I'd want to wait 2 to 3 times as long to give a guitar a cleanup.

If a person has acidic sweat that eats through non-coated strings, then coated might be worth it. But I don't sweat all that much while playing and when I do it is rather neutral and doesn't react much with the strings.

Comment

+1 Chad. I don't get the coating craze at all either.
                                -------------------------
                                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X