Had carpal tunnel surgery today:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had carpal tunnel surgery today:(

Had to get the carpal tunnel surgery done today, may not be able to play for a while
    they had to also do the Guyon nerve so they put me out
    Bummed because our band Thought of Redemption is doing well right now so it will be a set back
    The surgeon said I could start playing again as soon as next week just go slow

Had it done also, both hands. From my experience it is best to push it but, don't go crazy. It's going to take a little while but, start doing things with your hand as soon as you feel up for it. One thing that I did notice is that some (a little) of my range of motion is kinda screwed up but, it doesn't stop me from playing. Just be careful.

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I need it done to both of my wrists, but I just can't do it yet due to work. I'll do it once we shut down this year.
      Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
      http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Get well soon. Let us know how you progress with your playing as this clears up.

Comment

Thanks bro, it is definitely a bit painful now on day two, the Guyion release is deeper and I think that is where most of the pain is from.
          The surgeon that did mine does a lot of musicians and says this is very common
          Unfortunately I am allergic to codeine so no pain meds. for me just ice ,funny I had on a red allergy band and they prescribed Oxycontin anyway?
          I of course did not get it! lol

Comment

Yikes. Get well soon! I hope I never have to go through that... I'm a court reporter and have been for 15 years, typing on that little steno machine and computer all the time, as well as playing guitar. Never had any problem with my hands, knock on wood!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here's to a speedy recovery... how did you get injured? I work on a computer all day and hang out in front of the computer when I get home too. Some years ago I had pains in my right hand when I used the mouse too much, but I learned to use the keyboard shortcuts instead.
              Last edited by javert; 05-21-2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

It all started in 07" when I was getting ready to play a gig in Norway with a friends band.
                I jumped right into a practice routine of 3-4 hours a night during the week and 6-7 hours on weekends
                I should have started slow but didn't, I stared feeling some pain and all but ignored it
                I have been playing guitar for 30+ years and I use the PC everyday and I am and aerospace worker so
                I use my hands all the time
                I have learned a lot of stretching exercises that I will continue after I heal,Thanks for the good wishes!!

Comment

Man, that does also sound a bit... well, excessive to me. Wish I had the attention span to play that long

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                    Man, that does also sound a bit... well, excessive to me. Wish I had the attention span to play that long
                    Well the problem was we were only going to get 1 practice, the morning we flew into Oslo so I had to get it all down, I learned 12 songs of theirs.
                    I had to pick them all out off of mp3s including the leads and all, so it was a lot of work lol!

Comment

Originally posted by metalone View Post
                      I have been playing guitar for 30+ years and I use the PC everyday and I am and aerospace worker so
                      I use my hands all the time
                      Our bodies change over the years (and decades--lol). I've been playing for about as long as you and recently started practicing again. I can't curl my left wrist like I could when I was a teenager so some scalar runs don't seem possible anymore--esp. the ones with long finger stretches.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                        Our bodies change over the years (and decades--lol). I've been playing for about as long as you and recently started practicing again. I can't curl my left wrist like I could when I was a teenager so some scalar runs don't seem possible anymore--esp. the ones with long finger stretches.
                        Yes this is true, I have found that stretching during the day and before playing really helps

Comment

As long as you can wank with your other hand, all is not lost.
                          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Here's a pic of it

Comment

Did someone in the hospital write "yes" on your hand to avoid operating on the wrong hand? I read about doctors amputing the wrong leg, etc. so it made me wonder...

Comment

Working...
                              X