Guitar straps and strap locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar straps and strap locks

Ok so what are strap locks for? Are they designed just to prevent the straps from ever coming off? Will any guitar strap be compatible with them?

Button-style straplocks such as the Dunlops found on the USA Charvel Production models include both the receiving cup (which looks like a regular speaker-shaped pin) and the lock which fastens to the strap. The lock has a shaft with spring-loaded pins/balls that seat into a recess inside the receiving cup.

They also include two large washers that completely close off the hole in the strap so it can't slip off.

Other locking strap designs have a U-shaped cup attached to the strap that slides over the pin mounted on the body.

Then there's the DiMarzio ClipLock which looks like those child restraints in grocery carts. Those are the best IMO.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Depending on the material your strap is made out of - you may have difficulty attaching the strap portion of the straplock. You're basically inserting through the hole and then bolting or pinning the assembly together. If the strap material is thick like heavy leather, you may have some trouble.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Interesting issue I didn't really think about. I'm going to get the Schaller strap locks and this strap:

http://www.dslstraps.com.au/product_...products_id/15

I think it looks thin enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Then there's the DiMarzio ClipLock which looks like those child restraints in grocery carts. Those are the best IMO.
          I'd trust those least,... from experience in a different field

Riding my bike in full gear I use one of those hipbags for keys, wallet, etc
          One day the clip had broken, luckily when I noticed it. it fell off my waist pulling into a gasstation

For this reason you won't see me with a guitar hanging from a clip-lock
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I've never heard of anybody having problems with them - perhaps Dimarzio uses better materials.
            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I wouldn't get DiMarzio simply because of looks, just not my cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                dude these are plastic junk and they look terrible

please

steer the guy right and tell him to get Schaller StrapLoks with the cup you mentioned, those are the best locks on the market hands down, just from a simple physics analysis of how they hold the guitar up and prevent it hitting the floor with more strength than any other design.
                Last edited by skorb; 02-11-2010, 03:19 AM.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I've had dunlops fail on me and when they do there is nothing to hold the strap on. If a schaller fails the cup and gravity will keep the strap on assuming you don't unweight the connection. Get the real schallers though, I had one of those guitar center schaller knockoffs once and the cup piece just shattered one day. The last schaller I purchased still had made in germany stamped on the bottom of the cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic_Sheep View Post
                    Interesting issue I didn't really think about. I'm going to get the Schaller strap locks and this strap:

http://www.dslstraps.com.au/product_...products_id/15

I think it looks thin enough?
                    I've got Schallers on everything, even leather straps around 3/16" thick.

All it takes is a little patience, and occasionally cutting out a bit more leather from the hole in the strap to make the lock a good fit.

It's better spending an extra 10 minutes fitting the best strap locks you can instead of spending weeks getting your broken headstock repaired
                    ( IMHO, of course )

Comment

Working...
                    X