guitar straight too pc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar straight too pc?

well, i cant really play on my amp cause its too loud at any volume (6505+) too my neighbor anyway... so i bought a cable that goes from my guitar too comp. What program do i need too play through the pc?

sorry if this has been answered.
    yermsayin?

I used Guitar Rig a few years ago. It needed a 1/4 inch female to 1/8 inch male stereo (or mono--I can't remember) connector to run a guitar cable into a sound card. I didn't like it--it was glitchy, but maybe a newer version with a better computer will work better. I recall hearing no difference in tone when I switched from the neck pup to the bridge pup so I gave up on it. Line 6 Spider amps have a headphone out and they're not very expensive. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
      I used Guitar Rig a few years ago. It needed a 1/4 inch female to 1/8 inch male stereo (or mono--I can't remember) connector to run a guitar cable into a sound card. I didn't like it--it was glitchy, but maybe a newer version with a better computer will work better. I recall hearing no difference in tone when I switched from the neck pup to the bridge pup so I gave up on it. Line 6 Spider amps have a headphone out and they're not very expensive. Just a thought.
      Yeah for the price of all the software, cables and possible mods to your computer it would be better to just get a cheap practice amp and use the headphone jack. That's what I do.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I can just picture Ron having mass facial tics reading this.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I've used a Line6 device (essentially an external soundcard) that you plug the guitar into, and then connect it to the computer. It comes with loads of amp simulations and a recording suite called RiffTracker. So it makes for a rudimentary recording studio.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            I can just picture Ron having mass facial tics reading this.
            Waiting for him to post the link.

Comment

i think i found my solution...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...-PF?sku=250004

anybody used one of these?
              yermsayin?

Comment

Can you buy a smaller amp, like an Orange micro crush or Microcube or something like that?

I'd hate to be tied to my computer unless you're recording stuff.
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

Just a suggestion, I use a Korg Pandora's Box through a decent spare set of powered computer speakers (works w/ headphones too) for quiet practice. Works great, sounds good and the Korg has a built in drum machine too. One of the best purchases I made because it's so small and versatile. With the correct cables of course, I've run mine direct into my recorder to record ideas, ran it direct into a stereo receiver, even ran it direct into our PA(mixer board).
                  2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
                  BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
                  BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
                  Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
                  Kramer Sustainer American-black

Comment

If you're looking to plug in directly to the computer (no amp) then you'll need a "DI" box (direct in). It will raise your guitar signal to line level. Then you can download VST plugins to get a good guitar sound. The Line 6 one you linked will work, and comes with their POD Farm software. If your sound card isn't designed for recording, you will not be happy with the result.

If you're just looking for a quiet practice solution, get a POD. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...sor?sku=150448 and some headphones.

Of course, you could always just get a little Line 6 Spider, or Vox Valvetronix, or Peavey Vypyr, or any of the other <$100 practice amps.
                    Last edited by Spivonious; 02-05-2010, 11:20 AM.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by wr3k3d View Post

I have the UX1 and like it alot. I run it through a little Yamaha mixing board along with my computer output into KRK Rokit 5 nearfield monitors and a subwoofer. It's great because you can play it soft or I can really crank it up too. The "Big Bottom" amp moves a lot of air when turned up. I bought all the amp and effect expansion packs in a bundle for it as well. It comes bundled with some basic recording software, but I use mine with Mixcraft and Beatcraft. Mixcraft is sort of a PC equivalent of Garage Band.

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by wr3k3d View Post

Ive used one for years, its a phenominal piece of gear, I couldnt live without it. I dont really have any room for my Vetta here, so the UX2 is PERFECT. You wont regret it, trust me!
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

i was thinking of maybe just getting a vyper... but instead i think i will get the line 6 ux2 i posted because i might be moving soon, but im still wanna be able to record and what not.
                          yermsayin?

Comment

I use a Line6 Guitarport, with Guitar Rig. I've used it as an interface with all four versions, and Amplitude Metal with no latency problems at all. I got this stuff when I sold off my rack gear, and am very impressed. Note: Haven't tried the line6 software that came with it for free, "Gearbox" or something.... Maybe someone can comment on that.

Comment

I've just gotten a Line6 POD Studio GX in the mail. It's a tiny little thing, with basically the same funtionality as the Line6 Guitarport. It came with Gearbox and Rifftracker.

Burn: I think Gearbox is similar to Guitar Rig. It lets you select amps, cabs, effects and so on.

Comment

Working...
                              X