No announcement yet.

Gibson News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that if he ends up in the pokie, he doesn't get shafted by woody.

Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

The issue is not as simple as it seems and Gibson, IF they are guilty, only plays one part of it. Ruining a "national treasure" can have serious effects. Madagascar has the most unique and diverse nature and wildlife in the world. That brings a lot of money to the country as people all over the world want to see it. A country like that does not want to loose the tourists. Tourist spend money on all kinds of different businesses. Illegal wood business only serves the interest of a certain group of folks.

"Western" companies may not be directly involved but they definitely pay off some corrupt scumbags who do all the monkey business. It's been going on for a long time, and not just there but everywhere where's a buck to be made. You think constructing "Western" gas-pipe lines in Burma gave something to the locals? No, the companies paid off the totalitarian government run military who used locals as slaves to build those lines.
      The same kind of companies are stealing the food from people's plates in Madagascar. Only a local group of bandits earn some buck. So called tree-huggers at the national park at least built shelters for the locals. The tourists offered job opportunities etc. Now all that can go away. And when there's nothing left, everyone starts chopping down the trees to stay alive.... until there are any trees left.

Things like that need to be protected. If you look at the most visited countries in the world like France or Spain then they have very strong heritage protection. People don't visit those places to see how Michelin tires or Seat exhaustion pipes get made. The visits are made because of the culture. If some "special interest group" starts doing whatever the fuck they want with it then the competition among those who do business legally will vanish. Tourists bring money to transportation, gastronomy service, hotels, all kinds of luxury and goods companies etc. etc. and which all employ tons of people. If "special interest group" does whatever they want, only they will benefit. If they destroy the culture, everyone but them will loose. No tourist will come back if 700 old cathedrals will be replaced with "special interest group" buildings.

Same thing with Madagascar but instead of old cathedrals, churches and city halls they have nature which attracts people. There's many other places in the world which make bread for the people because of the nature. I was born in a pretty dull fucking country but we have the most untouched forest in Europe and even our constitution states "§ 5. The natural wealth and resources of Estonia are national riches which shall be used economically". Big fucking reasons why things like that are protected.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

So these lemurs... Are they edible?

I admit it. It's all my complicated scheme. I got tired of my house smelling of rich mahogany and desired the scent of forbidden rosewood.
        "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
        Zakk Wylde

Comment

Hmmm. Innocent until proven guilty, but it sure smells like Henry may not have been on the up-and-up, and possibly got himself and his company into a heap of hypocritical trouble. Based on what I've heard (2nd, 3rd or worse hand, so take that for what little it's worth), this is not necessarily inconsistent with Henry's overall approach to doing business.

P.S.- More signs that it's past time for the FMIC lawyers to finally give up the ghost on the "gentlemens' agreement"!

Comment

Since everyone is using Indian rosewood these days, what advantage would there be to using the Madagascar variety? It's not like you could advertise it as such.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              Hmmm. Innocent until proven guilty, but it sure smells like Henry may not have been on the up-and-up, and possibly got himself and his company into a heap of hypocritical trouble. Based on what I've heard (2nd, 3rd or worse hand, so take that for what little it's worth), this is not necessarily inconsistent with Henry's overall approach to doing business.

P.S.- More signs that it's past time for the FMIC lawyers to finally give up the ghost on the "gentlemens' agreement"!
              Oh, don't get me wrong.
              We'll see what happens in the end.
              Just making a note-sometimes Fed agencies get heavy handed with no alternative but to buy them off, guilty or innocent.
              I should have said "guilty until proven innocent".

Comment

I'm surprised they haven't found or came across "speed wood" yet in the forbidden jungles of anywhere but here.
                You know leading many idiots to believe if they buy such wood to have guitars built with it they will be graced with playing faster without actually having to LEARN how to play faster.

You know, like the idiots that actually believe if they buy an EVH guitar they will sound or play like ED, and learn they don't and get really discouraged.

Mauuuuuhhhhaaaaa!
                Kill and destroy such idiots before further breeding takes place!

On a lighter note.
                You know there will be idiots that will buy guitars with this so called imported madagascar wood that this whole fiasco is about, thinking they have invested in something really special.

Ex.
                I can hear the conversations already.
                "But honey, its made of that really special madagascar wood that Gibson had a lawsuit thrown against them about. Honey you know if Gibson had a law suit against them about it, it has to be really good wood."
                Last edited by Soap; 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM.
                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

If all that were true then the Model 88 (banned African Ribbon Mahogany) would be worth a mint.
                  But they aren't much more than many other M series Charvels.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    The issue is not as simple as it seems and Gibson, IF they are guilty, only plays one part of it. Ruining a "national treasure" can have serious effects. Madagascar has the most unique and diverse nature and wildlife in the world. That brings a lot of money to the country as people all over the world want to see it. A country like that does not want to loose the tourists. Tourist spend money on all kinds of different businesses. Illegal wood business only serves the interest of a certain group of folks.

"Western" companies may not be directly involved but they definitely pay off some corrupt scumbags who do all the monkey business. It's been going on for a long time, and not just there but everywhere where's a buck to be made. You think constructing "Western" gas-pipe lines in Burma gave something to the locals? No, the companies paid off the totalitarian government run military who used locals as slaves to build those lines.
                    The same kind of companies are stealing the food from people's plates in Madagascar. Only a local group of bandits earn some buck. So called tree-huggers at the national park at least built shelters for the locals. The tourists offered job opportunities etc. Now all that can go away. And when there's nothing left, everyone starts chopping down the trees to stay alive.... until there are any trees left.

Things like that need to be protected. If you look at the most visited countries in the world like France or Spain then they have very strong heritage protection. People don't visit those places to see how Michelin tires or Seat exhaustion pipes get made. The visits are made because of the culture. If some "special interest group" starts doing whatever the fuck they want with it then the competition among those who do business legally will vanish. Tourists bring money to transportation, gastronomy service, hotels, all kinds of luxury and goods companies etc. etc. and which all employ tons of people. If "special interest group" does whatever they want, only they will benefit. If they destroy the culture, everyone but them will loose. No tourist will come back if 700 old cathedrals will be replaced with "special interest group" buildings.

Same thing with Madagascar but instead of old cathedrals, churches and city halls they have nature which attracts people. There's many other places in the world which make bread for the people because of the nature. I was born in a pretty dull fucking country but we have the most untouched forest in Europe and even our constitution states "§ 5. The natural wealth and resources of Estonia are national riches which shall be used economically". Big fucking reasons why things like that are protected.
                    nice post, Endrik
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

I think it's interesting that Henry was on the board of an association that promotes the use of sustainable woods and is against using protected woods. Yet, here's Gibson, caught using protected woods. Does Henry truly support sustainable wood use and this whole thing is some misunderstanding that's being spun the wrong way, or was Henry's position on the board just something he did for political reasons? The guy was on the board for the last 15 years...
                      Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Is there an update on this? I have not seen anything in the news about the latest anything regarding this matter.

EJ

Comment

Working...
                        X