No announcement yet.

Windows 7 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I went ahead and did the install. Its all working fine with no problems. At first, for some reason the drive with all the backups and music did not show up. I had to go into disk management and assign it a drive letter. I dont know why it didnt do that automatically. Pretty scary moment there for a while thinking the drive had been wiped or something. All seems well so far. Im sure my daughter will have something to scream about though.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      You missed Windows ME. :P

Going by version numbers we have:

1. Windows 1
      2. Windows 2
      3. Windows 3
      4. Windows 3.1
      5. Windows 3.11
      6. Windows 95 (4)
      7. Windows 98 (4.1)
      8. Windows ME (4.2)
      9. Windows 2000 (5)
      10. Windows XP (5.1)
      11. Windows Vista (6)
      12. Windows 7 (6.1)
      Either way, it's a counting fail

Of course there's also the NT versions, which would make Win7 #16
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        MicroSloth counting Fail:
        1. Windows 3.1
        2. Windows 95
        3. Windows 98
        4. Windows XP
        5. Windows Vista
        6. Windows 7

So win me was already pointed out but what about win98 se and win95b?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          Is this true? Vista's idea of memory management was to use ALL of your memory in an effort to guess how you might use it and optimize around those guesses. FAIL
          No dumbass I wasn't referring to Vista's memory management. Windows7 DOES have better memory management than vista. I have been able to successfully install W7 on machines below Microsofts hardware requirements. And guess what...it runs relatively good.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
            So win me was already pointed out but what about win98 se and win95b?
            98 SE was still versioned 4.1; it was more like a service pack than a full release.

95 OSR1, 2, 2.1, and 2.5 where actually just service packs for Win95 and were never available at retail. All of them were versioned 4.0.
            Scott

Comment

You missed Windows ME. :P

Going by version numbers we have:

Windows 1
              Windows 2
              Windows 3
              Windows 3.1
              Windows 3.11
              Windows 95 (4)
              Windows 98 (4.1)
              Windows ME (4.2)
              Windows 2000 (5)
              Windows XP (5.1)
              Windows Vista (6)
              Windows 7 (6.1)
              Raise your hand if you know the *real* reason that the version numbers (in parens) are numbered like that?

BTW, you are missing a bunch.

Windows 1.02, 1.03, 2.1, Windows For Workgroups, Windows 32S, Windows NT 3.1, Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 4, Windows Embedded, Windows Server 2008, etc.

And then the myriad of SKUs - Home, Pro, Enterprise Server, Domain Controller, etc.

And then the CPUs - 8086, 286, 386, P4, MIPS, Alpha, x64, etc.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by cornstar70 View Post
                No dumbass
                That's uncalled for.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  Raise your hand if you know the *real* reason that the version numbers (in parens) are numbered like that?

BTW, you are missing a bunch.

Windows 1.02, 1.03, 2.1, Windows For Workgroups, Windows 32S, Windows NT 3.1, Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 4, Windows Embedded, Windows Server 2008, etc.

And then the myriad of SKUs - Home, Pro, Enterprise Server, Domain Controller, etc.

And then the CPUs - 8086, 286, 386, P4, MIPS, Alpha, x64, etc.
                  Well, 3.11 is Windows for Workgroups, so I didn't miss that one

What's Windows 32S?
                  Scott

Comment

Well, 3.11 is Windows for Workgroups, so I didn't miss that one
                    Actually there were seperate Windows 3.x and a WFW 3.x releases so you did miss that one. Also, WFW started with 3.1 :P

What's Windows 32S?
                    Win32s was a redistributable OS layer so that applications written for Windows NT could run on Win 3.1. It did not support the full Win32 API though. It was released as a bridge for developers to move to 32-bit development but still run on 16-bit Windows.

- Newc

Comment

Heh, you have now fully earned your "I have no life" member status :P

Our first PC at home ran Windows 3.0, then upgraded to WFW 3.11, and then to Win95, so I'm not too familiar with the versions available at that time.
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        That's uncalled for.
                        Well, he should not be labeling someone as a fail when he obviously cannot read. If he would have read what I originally posted properly, he would have agreed with me, not call me a fail. So I think it was justified. Just my opinion.

Comment

Heh, you have now fully earned your "I have no life" member status :P
                          Well, I have spent a lot more time with Windows than most folks

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by cornstar70 View Post
                            Well, he should not be labeling someone as a fail when he obviously cannot read. If he would have read what I originally posted properly, he would have agreed with me, not call me a fail. So I think it was justified. Just my opinion.
                            He wasn't calling YOU a fail. Try reading again what he posted.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I guess if you read it that way. Sounds like sarcasm to me....The way I read it, he is stating that I was assuming that Vista was more stable and better Mem management. If he meant it otherwise then I apologize. But, I sensed sarcasm...

Comment

IMO absolutley NONE of the Windows versions were a fail. Just look into Bill Gates' personal monetary worth. If that constitutes a fail, count me in on that action!!
                                I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Working...
                                X