Stryper concert review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stryper concert review

Stryper IS metal. On 10/16/09 these guys rolled into northern Virginia to spread 'the word'. That word was loud and absolutely in your face. This tour marks the 25th anniversary of the band. The idea of their tour is to take the audience on a time travel from the old songs to the new. The yellow and black attack opened the show with the screamer Soldiers Under Command. Michael Sweet was charismatic and fired up as were the rest of the group. He pulled the audience into every song...and the audience sang along for every song as well. Michaels voice has lowered a bit, which actually sounds better than the really high pitched singing voice of old. However, every once in a while he belted out one of his infamous high pitched screams much to the audiences delight. Also, the vocal harmonies are still as great as ever. The dual guitar attack of Sweet and Oz Fox has not changed since their hey day in the 80's. Their sound is absolute attitude, 'Want some of this? Bring it!', both powerful and raunchy at the same time. Ironic in a way. Although each can solo on their own, their harmonies are where they really shine. Michael is now playing a custom PRS while Oz is still using custom Charvels and Jacksons . Sweet was having A LOT of problems with his trem (looked like a Wilkenson), having to take it off stage to his tech a few times. I was within about 15 of Michael and yelled out, 'You need an OFR Mike!!'. He just looked at me, smiled, and nodded. Meanwhile, Oz was beating the snot out of his C/J's and didn't have one problem. Oz was playing his new custom Charvel and Jackson. I couldn't get that good a view of the Charvel, but they both had dual hum's of some kind. Both guitars were customary yellow and black motif with the Charvel having abstract lines while the Jackson was a bengal (oh yeah!) with a line of 50 cal. bullets near the end of the body. Laying down the music foundation was Tim Gaines and of course, Robert Sweet. Tim is like a thunder god and keeps up with every lick from the guitarists arsenal with a bobbing head and a smile. Robert has not changed at all. Full of life, swinging his sticks over his head banging golden locks while hammering the bass with a double beat that hits you in the chest. They did a cover of a Boston song. Apparently, Michael has been touring with them taking the place of the late Brad Delp. Who else has that range of vocal talent? They did two encores. The first being, of course, To Hell With the Devil and the last being a 'metalized' version of Winter Wonderland. Most of the audience were 40 somethings reliving the past with some younger people in the mix. If you have never seen Stryper (I was in that category), go to the 'Will Call', buy your ticket and be prepared...you will be sanctified!
    Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Great review! I grew up on Stryper and they are one of the main reasons I always wanted a Jackson. I have the "live in Puerto Rico" dvd,,,,and I love it. These guys are tight and Michael's vocals are always A+ I'm gonna search for tickets and see if they come close on this tour.

Comment

Working...
    X