Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch This Movie

Anvil: The Story of Anvil:

I remember this band and their album covers, and any true metal head at the time had them, i can't say i remembered their music much i was a bit young and just getting turned on to metal at the time but i do remember the older guys that had the killer record collections had their records.

I honestly don't know what i think, mixed feelings i suppose, but,
    whatever opinion you may have after - and i think there would be some strong opinions one way or another, but if posted try and keep it cool, not for my sake but maybe for people involved (this is the internet).

Think you are or "were" dedicated?

This is as real as it gets, reality tv has nothing on this.

Is there supposed to be a link or something?

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
      Is there supposed to be a link or something?

- E.
      No - he's talking about the Anvil movie. A recent documentary (rock-umentary?) about a failed metal band from Canada.

I just watched the movie this past weekend. I really feel bad for those guys, but here's my take -

- Talent and dedication are not the problem, or what's kept them from "making it."

The reason they never made it was because they didn't/don't have any business sense, or industry savvy. And based on the bad decisions they were making as 50 something year olds, I can only imagine the decisions they were making as stoned 20 somethings. Case in point - in 2005, after recording a new album, how do they shop it around? Sending CD's to record companies? How about MySpace, how about all the other modern outlets for music these days? They were still trying techniques that didn't work for them 30 years before.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Saw this one awhile back. While I agree with the talent & drive portion, the lack of common business sense does stand out. I am not in the Biz, but even I would have promoted these shows better. They had like 7 people show up at one event that was supposed to be THE event to attend for Metal acts where ever they were. Looked someone's basement!
        Its a REAL version of "Spinal Tap" unfortunately lived out by some good guys.

Comment

Just listened to a few of their tunes on youtube. Some pretty good playing, but the lyrics remind me of Manowar. Maybe they could've marketed themselves along those lines, but some of the folks saying they could've been as big as Priest or Metallica "if only they had gotten the right break" are on crack, imo. I think people forget (or just don't understand) how much insane talent was around back then, probably because of how little talent they see in popular bands now. Back then you had to be firing on all cylinders, have great songs, work your ass off, and get lucky.

Comment

Anvil rocked! It sucks that life went all Spinal Tap on 'em.
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              Back then you had to be firing on all cylinders, have great songs, work your ass off, and get lucky.
              Heh, I'm pretty sure that's still the case except now instead of a couple hundred bands in LA you have to compete with a couple hundred thousand bands on MySpace.

As far as playing to 7 people in a basement, been there done that.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                As far as playing to 7 people in a basement, been there done that.
                +1!!! :ROTF:

Thanks for sharing. This movie is in my list "to watch" for the coming weeks. Just gotta find the time!
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

The biggest problem that kept them down was 'Much Music'...All they played was the same live video of "Metal on Metal". I remember how we all thought that was the only song they had. Me and my buds got our hands on a ton of underground music somehow, yet...all you heard from Anvil was that same fucking song. Then they did a proper video, and its for "Mad Dog"! Another poor representation of what they were doing.

You listen to some of that stuff that preceeded the big 4 and its a shame they never got their due. Well...till now. Nice to hear Lars, Ian and Slash tell it...

I truly think it had more to do with what was bieng played becaus we we Canadian headbangers thought...."If Metal on Metal is what these guys are all aboot...then why even persue them."

Blame Much Music! Those stupid fags didn't know shit about metal!
                  Last edited by sevser; 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM. Reason: errors
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

That is a depressing as all hell movie.
                    Watched it all because I bought The Metal on Metal album back in the day with my painting job money. Still have the LP.

God bless the passion in those guys, but fuck man, enough is enough get a real fucking job and stop living off relatives and making an ass of yourself. This movie is it for them, they either make something happen out of pity or they are going down the cliff.
                    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I felt the same as you guys after watching it.

The movie itself is just really hard to describe i guess i would say it's a really really good movie - but it leaves you kinda mixed feelings.

It definitely runs the gamut of emotion.

I think it's a must see for anyone whoever tried or is trying to make it in the biz - lot's of "teachable moments"

Comment

This movie has been out for a while guys...Anvil is doing very well now and no longer have day jobs. They recently opend a couple shows for AC/DC, apperently Angus requested them after seeing the movie.

The movie has been very well recieved...The Times said it was the best Rock doc ever made...Mike Moore even said something along those lines so...Its doing quite well...
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

they didn't make it because they weren't any good.

and they were dipshits.

what a combo.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                          X