Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are they're any veternarian members?

Are they're any veternarian members?

I've got 2 dogs that fought pretty hard last night, I know I've got to take at least 1 to the vet(but, it's Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday(price's are ridiculous))). So if I can I'd like to wait until Tuesday.

Here's a brief description of the injuries(a siberian husky);

several bites around the neck, one looks pretty deep(approx 1/2"( I did pour hydrogen peroxide in it last night after breaking them up(and crushed up an advil and put it in his food)).

Some bites around the legs, and tail.

Now here's where it gets a little wierd, he's thrown up twice this morning and is having difficulty urinating?

So if anyone's pretty knowledgeable about animal health, what do you think I should do?
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

wow that sucks bro.

huskies are tougher and have stronger organism than most pure breeds... sounds like the injury is serious.

btw. why did they fight? huskies aren't very violent in my opinion.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'm not really sure why they fought(I heard them from inside and rushed out to break it up). I figure it's just the alpha male syndrome between Igor and Hessian(doberman), as Annabelle(doberman) is never involved in the fighting.

I'm trying to do some reading online, I'm hoping Igor's throwing up from the advil last night. He's not vomited again, but he only has water right now.

Comment

sounds like maybe some internal issues. suck it up and take then to the vet. You could be paying a lot more for some surgeries or putting the dog to sleep if you don't take them in now. I'm not a vet but I have owned a lot of pets.

Comment

One time my dog just started having those symptoms as well as not being able to move much. When we took it to the vet they said that it got stung by a bee in the wrong place and the bees poisen entered his bloodstream. My dog needed imediate treatment. But that is a rare occasion they had only seen it happen once before and since your dogs were inside there probly wornt any bees.
          "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
          Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

The peeing issue really has me worried that there may be some kind of kidney problem. Any improvement there? That's what would have me heading to the vet. I looked up Ibuprofen dosages for dogs, and it may have been a little on the high side if it was 1 200mg tablet, but probably not toxic as long as he's over 50 lbs or so. Some vets don't recommend it because it can cause bleeding in the stomach, and that may be what caused the vomiting.

Comment

Watch the pills, go to a local hardware or Coop and get some pennicillin and a syringe, i give my animals shots all the time when they need one (fighting usually) keep the wound clean, peroxide will close it up, which if it is real deep, may not be good. get some betadine.. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                I know I've got to take at least 1 to the vet(but, it's Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday(price's are ridiculous))). So if I can I'd like to wait until Tuesday.
                Like someone else already said - suck it up and take them to the vet. Think about it - would you wait to take your kid because it's more expensive until Tuesday?
                You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                --horns666 - 12/29/08
                I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

~Treatment is based on the severity of the toxicity. The toxic dose of ibuprofen for stomach ulcers is 50 mg per pound (100 mg/kg) for dogs. The toxic dose of ibuprofen for kidney failure is 150 mg per pound (300 mg/kg). Repeated doses of sub toxic levels can eventually result in toxic signs.~

These numbers look pretty good to me, Igor is a new dog (1 year old, approx 50 pounds). He appears to be urinating better now, and now I'm gonna try to feed him again. If it stays down I think we'll be alright til tuesday.

Comment

If you ever need to give your dogs pain meds, give them Bufferin. It has a coating that protects their stomach. We have been giving it to our dog for pain for a few years now (hip displasia (sp?)) I know this is pretty much pointless to what you need right now...but i hope your dog is fine...

Comment

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_give_a_dog_ibuprofen

Ibuprofen is toxic, according to this. I think you'd better get to an emergency clinic ASAP.

One "good" thing is that many of the better emergency clinics offer an instant application for GE Care Credit - a credit card that allows you to pay off the balance over a certain time period, with *no interest*. It's good if you know you can pay; if you can't pay it off in the promotional time period, it sucks, because there is a high rate.

Good luck - hope your pup is ok.
                      WarPig____________________________________________
                      "Live every day as if it were your last...
                      ...one day it will be."

Comment

Good news, he's holding food down now and shows all signs of being a regular dog again(there will be some scarring(in the winter months, when I let his coat grow out - it will prolly be unoticable.)).

Daniel I appreciate the heads up about Bufferin !
                        GTarman68 - I've also applied some betadine, it really stands out on the white fur!

Here is a picture from a couple weeks ago,

I'll give him a few days to heal up and take some new pics ...

Comment

Problem with bites is that they are punctures, and they will not drain out. A vet need to shunt the wound - put in a piece of surgical tubing to allow fluids to drain out. If they don't drain, they will get infected.

My cocker was bit a couple year ago by a bull terrier. They put in a shunt to drain it and keep it from getting infected.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Cool to know whe's doing better but why would you give IB to a dog to begin with? What works inyour system doesnt ot work and react the same way in a dogs system.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Just saw this thread. My wife is a 4th year vet student. Definitely do the buffered aspirin route, no ibuprofin. At the very least, give your vet a call to make sure there has been no damage caused by the advil (the vomiting and kidney function is a little alarming). And he should probably have some antibiotics for a bit too. Hope he gets well soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X