Just got a nasty Trojan/Virus from Ultimate-Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a nasty Trojan/Virus from Ultimate-Guitar

It is that damned Total Security trojan. It shuts down your current anti-virus program and takes over. It is made to look like a legit anti-virus program. Then it asks to to subscribe to their software. This happened on my drive that contains XP32 bit.

It happened when I click on a song I wanted the Guitar Pro Tab for and at the same time, one of the pop-ups that Ultimate-Guitar allows to run there came up.

Fortunately, I have multiple OS. So I jumped into Vista 64 and am currently scanning that particular hard drive with AVG and Avast.

I would like to catch these fucks that write these programs and do things so bad that it would make me blush to even say them.

The AVG found it, just hoping it removes it completely. Don't want to re-format that drive if necessary.-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Yet another reason to not go to Ultimate Guitar.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

They have a thread there that you might want to report that to. Sometimes paid advertisements do that shit, if you can remember the ad you might want to report it.

I go there every now and then for tabs, and I've never had any issues with trojans/viruses or pop ups for that matter.

Firefox ftw.
      Originally posted by horns666
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

I just got done with a week long battle with my cuz's computer with the same shit, and I think it came from something associated with Yahoo Chess, or some variation/pop up, etc. He doesn't go anywhere else or do anything, Charter web mail and that's it.

Good luck Lou! Let us know if it cleans up Ok...
        Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

malware.org
          Get their free version, install, update it, run a full scan.
          It will take care of it.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Malwarebytes also works very well.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/index.php

My friend's kids got on his office computer and he ended up with that Total Security thing. I installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from a disk (he couldn't download anything to his machine due to the infection) and it fixed him right up.

-edit- His machine was brand new and he was running McAfee that came w/ it., and it didn't detect a damn thing. That particular attack has been around since at least early Spring, and they should've been all over it. This is like the third or fourth time he's gotten crap on his computers while running McAfee or Norton that I know doesn't get by Avast or AVG without them at least giving you a warning. I finally convinced him to get rid of that shit & he let me install Avast. Now if he can keep the kids off his computer...
            Last edited by dg; 08-31-2009, 09:01 AM.

Comment

A Trojan Virus ?? Is that an STD ??? Good luck with that ...

Comment

we have that trojan virus out here, i am immune though to becoming a USC fan.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Benn there done that with my 9 year old's PC. It took quite a few scans from McAfee (free version from Scottrade).

Thing is I did an update/full scan and it's still finding infected files just this weekend.

Comment

Thats the site I meant, malwarebyte.org.
                    Excellent piece of software from that site.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I had Avast on that particular drive that got infected. It never picked it up. It seems there may have been some tweaks to make it disable the current anti-virus instantly.
                      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I just got done using the malwarebytes free download. I did as was suggeted above downloaded,updated and ran a full scan. It got rid of that Personal Anti Virus trojan that my Norton told me I had, but could not remove.

Comment

Working...
                        X