Dudes I bought gear from - big list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dudes I bought gear from - big list

Hey I've been on a buying spree the last several weeks and want to thank and acknowledge everybody involved. I'll also have some fun discussing the different boxing methods they employed.

First up: plon

plon sold me a Fusion PRO at a great price last month!

Antony needed Paypal, but my account is messed up, so a big thumbs up for plon's patience...he waited and held the Fusion until I could get the payment to him.

A big shout out here to my new buddy VinceV for helping me out with the Paypal thing! I had invited him to a really good Thai restaurant in a city that's between our cities...well, make that WAS Imagine my embarrassment when we show up there and the whole strip mall has been torn down (sometime in the last few months) ! That's the 3rd time in as many months that I've struck out finding a particular Thai place!
    Thanks again, Vince!

Just as an aside here: I have all my gear shipped to my work building. I also ask of all my sellers to double box guitars and to boycott UPS. So that usually means FedEx Ground, as they've always handled shipments well & charged very reasonable rates. Now I am always paranoid about how exactly sellers plan to package gear, especially guitars.

I think I'll start another thread on what MY version (the correct one, heh) of double boxing is. Plon packed thusly: Fusion in HSC, wrapped by a couple layers of bubble wrap, in a box, then *tightly* in another box. That is, he used 2 boxes all right, but 2 similar sized ones with no packing in between. I had a bit of a chuckle about that. But, it all turned out fine, because the guitar arrived in excellent shape!

OK, here's a pic of the Fusion:

I love the high end features, and this guitar has what I call "heft", it feels really "significant", similar to my old SL2H (USA).
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Congrats Ron. I had my eye on that one but when I PM'd Antony he told me that she was already sold. Glad she went to a good home!
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Oh yeah, jgcable sold me a Peavey 5150 head a couple months ago...for a pretty good price...BUT...he didn't want to ship it. (Pick up only). That's his right, course. Luckily I have a good old friend who lives about 60 miles from jgcable out in Connecticut. He drove down there, picked it up, brought it back to his place, removed & packaged the tubes, and then........... also didn't want to hassle with packaging the amp itself! So thanks, Derck, for taking it to a place that packaged it up & shipped it. I think they charged something like $42 just for the packing job...all they did was wrap the head twice in thick bubble wrap and then tossed it in one big box filled with loose packing peanuts. I swear that couldn't have taken 5 minutes Rat bastids! Also, the box when it arrived had a nice tear in it...which freaked me out...but Lady Luck shined upon me and when I got everything home, the amp worked just great!

Jgcable and I are still working on the footswitch situation....
      Last edited by RacerX; 05-26-2007, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Next up: paulbag and his WRMG. Whew, this is gonna be a long, but eventually good one. Man, it seems like all the gear I bought has been from the Northeast! All cross country shipments so far.
        OK, so way back in March I jumped on Paul's Warrior ad. I sent him a money order and my company's FedEx acct # and the request for double boxing. Then followed a whole set of circumstances (on both our part) that delayed delivery until yesterday, May 25th!
        First off, you guys know how big a Warrior HSC case is, right? Well, Paul had problems finding a big enough box to be the "outer box". Plus it was still winter weather there in Massachusetts. Then I freaked out because I had FedEx'd the MO and saw this in tracking: "Left at side door - Package delivered to recipient address - release authorized 1:50 PM"
        WTF? I thought a sig was required. I PM'd Paul but he had already got it & deposited, so good. THEN, I got my ass chewed out by the shipping manager at my work for giving out the FE# Ooooops! Heh. Then, a Nor'easter hit Paul's area and apparently flooded parts of both his house AND office!
        Then! There was a death in the family of Paul's bandmembers. That was a bummer. And still lots of snow around so he wanted to use USPS. Then I didn't know how much shipping would be, so I didn't know how much more $ to send. Then Paul had car trouble I stayed patient through all this, cuz I know how it is, plus I had a bunch of other axes coming in (see above and below posts). But I started wondering when the homework-eating dog was gonna make his appearance! J/K! Then! USPS wouldn't take the box (too large). I had forgotten about that. Paulie then graciously agreed to ship first, then let me know the amount so I could send payment later. Oh yeah, I started calling him Paulie somewhere along the way. Then, Paulie went to FedEx and they were closed! Ha ha! But it worked out, because he made it there on a Monday (May 21), and that meant a good chance that it would arrive on Friday May 25 (and not have to hang anywhere over a weekend). Then! FedEx was late arriving at the warehouse yesterday! It arrived at 12:10 while I was at lunch. It took a long time to open all the boxes, so that's a good sign. The packing job was good, although the foam pieces between the boxes were a bit thin, especially on the ends (the most critical area IMO). I would've liked to see the headstock itself wrapped in bubble wrap. But it turned out well, no damage! Although I did see these: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70486 :ROTF:

Oh yeah, it plays great!
        I took the knobs off today.....
        Thanks, Paulie!!

Comment

Thank you Ron, it's been good getting to know you! Glad you like her. She really does have some good Jap mojo goin' on. Really comfy too. Enjoy brutha...
          Paulie
          Hear the universe scream
          Bleeding from black holes
          Whom horns careless
          And whom God mourns

Comment

No problem on the Paypal thing, Ron. Sorry for the missunderstanding on the packaging instructions, heh, I tried. I'm glad it got there safe. Enjoy it.

Comment

Wow Ron, you've been busy lately! Nice scores!

Oh, and you'd better start calling ahead to the Thai restaurants!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by paulbag View Post
                Thank you Ron, it's been good getting to know you! Glad you like her. She really does have some good Jap mojo goin' on. Really comfy too...
                Paulie

Man, this is a great axe! It sounds way better than I expected, and the color is darker than I expected also! The Forest Green looks black in low light situations (most of my axes are black). Will definitely play the Warrior on the big gig we got this Saturday! Hopefully I'll get some pics taken then!

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                Wow Ron, you've been busy lately! Nice scores!

Oh, and you'd better start calling ahead to the Thai restaurants!
                Thanks, man...I think I went a little crazy once I found out I was permanent at work! ...and yes, I will start calling the Thai places BEFORE I drive out there. The ones in Hollywood all have signs "CASH ONLY" - maybe they are skimming some cash?

Comment

OK, next up: MetalMedalII

Last summer when I was unemployed I had to sell my '83 Gibson Flying V to pay the rent. Jason snapped it up...fast forward to April of 2007...as I was driving home from work my thoughts drifted to the old V...Lo & behold the very next day, Jason contacted me and offered it back to me (he hadn't had a chance to play it much, was moving and didn't want to take a bunch of guitars on the move)! Very cool! Uh, just a slight problem...I had already started on this buying binge so Jason graciously agreed to wait a bit til I could scrape the $.

Again, this was shipping from the Northeast, and Jason had kept some of the packaging that I used, and agreed to use Fed Ex Ground. This was a very smooth transaction, great communication, bro pricing, yadda yadda yadda, when the box(es) arrived it had been packed very well (took me awhile to get all the way into it...I think Jason learned from the master )...so again, I gotta give major props to Jason for "all dese kind of tings"

The V performed awesomely at my latest gig on Saturday; I used it for the ZZ Top/Led Zep portion of the evening. Here's an old pic:

Comment

Hey Ron:

I'm happy things worked out. Getting a missed guitar back is a great feeling, and it's what the JCF is all about! BTW, the transaction was smooth as usual.

Enjoy!
                    Jason
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Thanks again, Jas! I love that pic - look how skinny I was back then! I think I still have those jeans...in fact I may have worn them at the most recent gig!

Comment

Hey guys! Man I have been so busy with work, working out, and my band that I have fallen behind on my "props"

The next totally cool JCFer I'd like to thank is the great state of Texas' own 442w30 ! Thanks to David who is one of the extra cool guys who trusted me by accepting a personal check! Actually, 442 sent the mic even before he got the check! My purchase? A Shure SM57 for micing my Soldano cab at gigs. I'm gettin' all professional-like slowly but surely...

Comment

sounds like you might be due to post a big gear pic, Ron! What with all the gear you've been amassing.

oh, and I agree about David. Very cool to deal with.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks Ron (and Gary!)
                            Straight up great guys. Racerx is good to his word and one hell of a kisser (or so I've been told).

Cheers guys!
                            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Over the summer I bought a Washburn 7 string from fellow California JCFer
                              DarkSaga. This was also a fun transaction, in fact DS even sent the guitar before I sent the payment! And threw in a gig bag! Of course the deal was great. What a guy! The FedEx shipment only took 2 days, and I had a good laugh at the packaging, because the box was full of torn up bits of sticky foam that went everywhere and made a mess when I opened up the box at work

The guitar is in great shape, almost brand new. It's the WG-587 model, yes it's made in China, but I figure I got it used, so no money went from me to the commies I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality & feel of this guitar! At work, I showed to several people and made them guess how much they thought it was worth.
                              1 said 300
                              1 said 200
                              everybody else said 100 DOHHHH :ROTF:
                              One guy said "SEVEN strings? Whoa!" as did my drummer.

So thanks again, DarkSaga!

And I guess you can keep that Santa hat on your avatar since it's almost Xmas time again!

Comment

Working...
                              X