Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DIRTY RAT

A few comments:

I only got thru page 3 of this thread and it is very interesting. I still don't know if Joe got his money back or anything. Good luck, I'll keep reading tomorrow to see what the latest is... I do have some advice though...

1. I would never trust someone who sells via backdoor anyway, because he will screw you like he is screwing EBAY.

2. Always complete a transaction through EBAY, this way you may have some protection (MAYBE) and you can pat your back for being an honest person. Note: you can end an auction early and sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I had a funny backdoor attempt. I recently sold a '63 Bassman head on Ebay. I really didn't know what to expect for it since there are relatively few up there and even then the pricing is inconsistent. So I just started the bidding at $400 which was actually more than I had into it - no reserve, no buy it now - I figured I'd get what I'd get and that was it.

A few days into the auction the bidding got to well over $500. Some guy e-mails me that he'd like to have me end the auction early. He called me later on that day and was asking me all about it.

I could tell he was a douche right off because he was pretending he really didn't know much about the amp yet he could tell me the exact details of stuff he wanted to know about the amp. Then he starts to tell me how he got one in better condition for $375. I say nothing. He asks for my bottom line to which I say "you called me, make an offer". He offered me $400. I point out to him that the bidding is over $500 already. He tells me it's not worth that much and reminds me of his $375 find. I told him he was wasting my time. He offers $500. Again I remind bozo that the bidding is OVER $500. He then points out that he is in fact the high bidder and that he would pay the current bid. Again I tell him he is wasting my time. So I tell him that he can either retract his bids or I will cancel them for him. Now he grovels a bit saying he really wants it and please don't cancel his bid. Turns out he was a (0) feedback bidder - hmm. Funny thing is how we was trying to convince me that why I should take his lowball bid was because he would not be a problem to deal with and would follow through whereas most likely whoever won the auction wouldn't follow through (I'm not making that up).

Anyway, I got way more than $500 - he can bite me.

Joe, I hope you get your $$$ back (or the guitar).
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I admit that I have done that on Ebay but only if I am the current high bidder or if there are no bids yet. It can't hurt to try. Most of there sellers are pawn shops who haven't a clue on certain items. Some just want a quick sale and the first one who makes them a reasonable offer will get it. I usually insist on going through Ebay though because of the security of tracing a transaction. It especially works when the seller is local and can avoid packing and shipping.

Comment

Working...
        X