Introducing the Sully '71 model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proto #3 is underway:

I had 2-3 rough cut '71 bodies on a shelf for quite some time, and I noticed a mahogany neck blank that I had tapered, routed the truss rod, and cut a headstock for also sitting on a shelf, so I said "what the hell?" let's slap another prototype together. This one's weird; the body is black limba with a curly spalted maple top and the neck is mahogany. I grabbed a rosewood fretboard, and had some fun with it. Since it was essentially a sketch, I also decided to move the bridge pickup toward the bridge a bit more, and I moved the control cavity up. So here are some shots from last week:

Body with rough cut contours:

Wasn't sure what color the top should be, so I grabbed some black and orange. This is black sanded back and full strength orange over it:

Sanded back again with a light orange wash. Who knows....

Binding in and taped:

Binding scraped, fretboard oiled:

Neck shaped:

Neck fretted with 22 bits of stainless steel goodness and glued in:

Finally, with it's predecessor:

What I've decided thus far:

I'll NEVER put this headstock with this guitar again. It just looks very, very, wrong to my eyes. It was originally designed to go with this body shape, but I definitely like the other 3/3 headstock better; IMO, it goes with the angles of the body better and keeps it from getting Gibsony, which is something that matters a lot to me. For example, I won't put the toggle switch where it is on an LP, nor would I do the v/v/t/t control layout. There's nothing wrong with those things, of course, on a Les Paul.

At this point, I need to dial the neck shape in a bit more, then it's pretty much ready for paint. I have a feeling that it'll be one of those guitars that is better than you expect it to be simply because there wasn't a whole ton of thought into it. I still need to make one with a Floyd, and then I can move on to the carved top model.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Dialed in the neck and blended the heel today, and man, does it feel really nice.

Roughing it in with microplanes:

Annnnnd just about done (yes, that's a mineral streak and not a crack):

Final sanding on the sides (I freekin' LOVE this vise):

I did a quick level/crown/polish of the frets and I may string it up in the next couple of days to check it out.

Sully
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The alternating binding/inlay for the fret markers is great! The neck joint with the body cutout looks great too!
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Man this is truly some awesome work Sully! I would love to see a 71 double cutaway. Any plans?

Hope you don't mind I photochopped your image.

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
            Man this is truly some awesome work Sully! I would love to see a 71 double cutaway. Any plans?

Hope you don't mind I photochopped your image.

Glad you like it! No plans to alter the body shape, though.

Sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
              The alternating binding/inlay for the fret markers is great! The neck joint with the body cutout looks great too!
              Thank you! The binding/side markers can be a mindfuck, though. It works best when the fretboard has dark binding with lighter binding for the fret positions instead of the other way around. It can take some getting used to, for sure.

....yet I keep doing it for some dumb reason.
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully,

I must say I really have been enjoying the process of watching your brand identity develop. Although, I have never the opportunity to play a Sully guitar (would love to get my hands on one!) it is very clear that the care and hand craftsmanship you put into the actual product creation is second to none. I really like the head stock shape and your Sully logo. Keep up the great work. The designs your coming up with are awesome!

Comment

Thanks!
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Wow, i was unsure on the shape at first but the more i look at it the more cool it looks! When you say the '71 was designed to be the singlecut that answered the issues that I had with LPs' can you elaborate a little more on this? I can imagine it is upper fret access and the way it sits on your body from the look of the contouring you have done to the body. I find les pauls uncomfortable and the 71 shape looks really interesting.

Would love to see it with a FR also - cant wait to see pictures if you ever do this !

Cheers

- Drew

Comment

Originally posted by drewbag View Post
                      Wow, i was unsure on the shape at first but the more i look at it the more cool it looks! When you say the '71 was designed to be the singlecut that answered the issues that I had with LPs' can you elaborate a little more on this? I can imagine it is upper fret access and the way it sits on your body from the look of the contouring you have done to the body. I find les pauls uncomfortable and the 71 shape looks really interesting.

Would love to see it with a FR also - cant wait to see pictures if you ever do this !

Cheers

- Drew
                      Hey Drew!

The biggest issue I have with LPs is mostly scale length; 24.75 feels really congested once I get past the 10th fret or so, and overall ergonomics. The heel joint is clunky, and I like some contours on the back, so to speak.

There most certainly will be one with a floyd!

Sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                      X