Straplocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
    The Dunlops aren't as positive a lock, i.e. you can get them "almost" in there and BOOM the guitar drops to the floor when you let go of it, where with the Schallers, the weight of the guitar would probably seat it the rest of the way into the U.

I'm not saying the Dunlops are a POS. Actually I'd use them if it weren't for those giant god damned screws that leave the holes too big for any other strap buttons/locks. It's a dumb choice.

There's an old thread comparing Schaller and Dunlop and many instances of Dunlop failure were described. I use Schallers.
    I too find the large screw holes left by Dunlops a PITA when I retrofit for Schallers...Gotta find the right size dowel to plug and then redrill for schallers.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

i like the dunlop strap locks. cheap and dont take any extra room. i had em put in on a les paul. the screw is bigger but i used it with some wood glue and they were never gonna come off. im thinking of getting some for my new rhoads.
      Marshall 100 watt full stack mg100
      Peavy 6505+ Half stack
      Raven rg20 combo amp
      Jackson Dxmg
      Jackson RR24
      BOSS EFFECTS PEDALS

Comment

*LOL* The Schallers have at least 1 mm of material thickness in the cup. It's not going to fail from the weight of a guitar.

What I dislike most about the Schallers, are the clunking noises they tend to make.

Comment

I have a set of dunlops on my strat cause they came with the guitar. All my others have Marvel's. Couldn't find any unbiased reviews for them and they were cheap enough so I got 3 sets to try out. Work just fine. None of the straplocks I have ever had failed on me.... And for the OP, the dunlops or the Marvels only barely stick out any more than original buttons that I've seen.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Schaller's get caught in your hair

Dunlops don't.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by CoolJay View Post
              I suppose the Dunlop and Schallers both do the same job very well, but the Schaller SEEMS like a more stable design to me. With the schaller, you have to pull up on the little ball to be able to release the strap. With Dunlops, you have to push the button, and then the ball-bearings get loose so you can remove the strap. I'd rather pull than push to get my strap off. There is never an accidental pulling motion, but I'm scared of accidentally pushing the dunlop button.
              Plus, the dunlop works because there are ball-bearings holding the strap on the post. I am uneasy about having tiny balls in charge of making sure my guitar doesn't fall. I mean, they're ROUND balls. Something about that design makes me unconfortable. With the schaller, once you get the strap on, you can see how it works, and it's one of those "oh, that thing is not accidentally coming out of that other thing unless I pull the this thing. no way."
              The little nuts that hold the locks on your straps on Schaller straplocks keep coming loose..atleast on my set. No matter how much I tighten it..it will come loose with time. Does anyone else have this problem???

However, the ball design on Dunlop straplocks never failed me.

I have a set of both though. Schallers look nicer, but Dunlops seem to work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                *LOL* The Schallers have at least 1 mm of material thickness in the cup. It's not going to fail from the weight of a guitar.

What I dislike most about the Schallers, are the clunking noises they tend to make.
                A little dab of oil or vaseline makes the noise go away. I use Schaller, Dunlop and DiMarzio Cliplock, preferring the DiMarzio or Schaller over the Dunlop. Though, on Jacksons nowadays, I just stick with their standard oversized buttons and don't really feel a need for straplocks.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                  The little nuts that hold the locks on your straps on Schaller straplocks keep coming loose..atleast on my set. No matter how much I tighten it..it will come loose with time. Does anyone else have this problem???
                  I did. You can't finger tighten these and expect them to stay - get out your socket wrench and have at it. It should hold for a while.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    I did. You can't finger tighten these and expect them to stay - get out your socket wrench and have at it. It should hold for a while.
                    +1. My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Schallers for me too. But be careful with Gibsons of a certain age as the stock gibson screw is too big and the schaller crew is slightly too small. This is where the tooth pick + woodglee trick comes in handy.

Comment

Yep, and check them now and then.

Comment

I use Grolsch straplocks.

Very cheap and work like a charm.
                          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I didn't finger tighten them, I used a socket wrench and tightened it as much as I could. And it shouldn't hold just for a while .

EDIT: I read somewhere that Loctite glue solves this problem.
                            Last edited by Nazgul; 08-27-2009, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                              I didn't finger tighten them, I used a socket wrench and tightened it as much as I could. And it shouldn't hold just for a while .

EDIT: I read somewhere that Loctite glue solves this problem.
                              LOL. Yeah, Loctite fixes EVERY problem! Seriously. It's like the duct tape of the nut & bolt world.

I'm okay with tightening every now and then, but if you put locktite in there, this problem will completely go away for you.

Also, The Dunlops have the opposite of this problem. Once you get that thing on your strap, you'll NEVER get it off!

Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolJay View Post

Also, The Dunlops have the opposite of this problem. Once you get that thing on your strap, you'll NEVER get it off!

Jay.
                                LOL, that's true too!

Comment

Working...
                                X