No announcement yet.

Why do EMG's sound kinda sterile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 81 is probably what makes a lot of people think EMGs are overall "not very natural sounding" because it's more aimed at focus and aggression.
    This is what I've been saying for years. The 81 is EMGs worst pickup (IMO), and the origin of the "EMGs sound sterile" myth. The 85 sounds a lot more "alive", although still with that typical EMG tightness and overdrive signature.

Comment

I think a lot of the sterille sounds have to do with what setup you use. I have a dislike for most EMG's. I do like the S and SA's. anyway... I was playing the Dean MAB Signiture axe a few days ago through a Vox modeling amp. It had an 81/SA/85 setup. I was really liking what I was hearing. I had it on an aggressive 80's metal tone with the gain at 3 o'clock and it sounded great on all the pups. Then I plugged into an Orange Rockverb 50 and It sounded like crap. I love orange amps too, so Imagine how disapointed I was when I switched from the Vox.-I really think the amp makes the difference with these pups.

Comment

Working...
      X