No announcement yet.

"Slicking" a painted neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done the Scotch Brite thing on a couple of Gibsons and don't find it (when grimy) to be any less sticky than clean paint.

In other words, satin or gloss, when it gets dirty, it's sticky.

A thorough cleaning with an old t-shirt works about as well as anything.

Comment

Originally posted by newc View Post
      acid from sweat, which happens when you play for an extended amount of time. I used to get that on my les paul when i used it live. The neck clearcoat would get warm, then tacky.
      exactly!
      I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the DK2M's neck clear-coated? So shouldn't it be (theoretically) identical to a painted neck?
        It is clear coated, but it should be a matte satin and not high gloss.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
          Nah...forget all that.

Michael Schenker used a little baby powder...lightning quick.

Try it.
          Great Idea - works for pool players!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
            exactly!
            Okay, I just saw acid and was like what the heck is he talking about.
            Yeah, that happens on my SG. I try to keep it clean so it is always nice and slick.
            Gibson SG Standard
            Jackson DK2M Dinky
            Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
            Roland Micro Cube
            Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
              Great Idea - works for pool players!!!
              I believe Jeff Beck does the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
                Nah...forget all that.

Michael Schenker used a little baby powder...lightning quick.

Try it.
                Cool tip! Seems cleaner than going the liquid route.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post

Bengal, you sure WD40 is safe for the clear? Sounds like a very interesting idea, cuz I've got a brand spankin new 300ml can of the stuff, and been sprayin that shit everywhere I could, so naturally, I find it very hard to resist the temptation. Ya sure poly finishes don't react to WD40? Just askin, cuz it sounds like a pretty sweet idea.
                  Ahh, that just my poor attempt at humor I'm sure it won't react with Poly. Lacquer maybe. Actually have you tried "Virtuoso" guitar polish? It really is great stuff and I've used many products building and restoring guitars. It really makes the guitar slick, so I don't use it on the back of the guitar!
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

WD40 is good for cleaning strings and making the fretboard slick, and at least one person here has done it. Not sure if it would react with the finish on the back of the neck, though.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      WD40 is good for cleaning strings and making the fretboard slick, and at least one person here has done it. Not sure if it would react with the finish on the back of the neck, though.
                      And cleaning up rusty bridges.

From the Les Paul Forums, I'd get what Bengal65 said, Virtuoso polish. I've heard great things about it, but haven't had the need to buy it or use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                        Ahh, that just my poor attempt at humor I'm sure it won't react with Poly. Lacquer maybe.
                        I wouldn't get WD-40 anywhere near lacquer, but I'm sure the only way it will hurt poly is if you use 2 gallons of it and a match.

Comment

I never wash my hands after jaggin' it, so my all my guitars necks have several hundred coats of schlack ...spoip!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I was thinking Armor-All might be something good for a finished neck. I'm pretty sure there is teflon in that crap. I put it on my computer chair and almost slid off it through the wall.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              I never wash my hands after jaggin' it, so my all my guitars necks have several hundred coats of schlack ...spoip!
                              :idea:
                              I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

WD 40 and laquer don't mix really well. You can use a very small amount of it to remove adhesives but I don't recommend letting it sit for any length of time.
                                Turtlewax works on both poly and laquer and won't harm either finish. It also makes it a lot easier to clean when it does get nasty.

Comment

Working...
                                X