No announcement yet.

Pickup Help- a hotter JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok... So I got out of work around 1 this afternoon and with nothing to do and a few hours to burn, I headed up to Matt's Music. They're the closest Charvel dealer around and I wanted to check them out as I'd never been there before. I was playing a purple Suhr super strat and loved the sound. As it turned out, it came with the Aldrich PU. I loved it and it gave me the articulation and snap I was looking for. I bought one with a gold cover.

Anyway, Matt could not have been nicer. I tried out a few different guitrs including a PC1, all three Charvel USA pros, a SL1, the Suhr as previouslly mentioned and a Pink/ Blue Ibanez PGM reissue. All of the guitars were at least $1K plus and he had no problem with people plying them. I've been in some privatley owned stores and they get bitchy if play one higher end guitar. Matt however was very pleasant and cool to deal with. The PGM was quite cool. The neck was a bit too thin and the volume knob was oddly placed, but the PU's gave me a ton of tonal options. I got to play the new Ferrari red So-cal, and I really liked it as well. If I can sell a few spare parts and raise about 200 bucks, I'm getting that guitar from him. I would much rather support a shop like his than buy from a random dude on evilbay.

-Sully, While i bought the Aldrich, I liked your clips of the custom, I think I'm going to use that in my next project. Thanks!

Comment

Guess ya already found one, but I'll go ahead and mention that I also like the SH-5 Custom. But one that I really like that hardly ever gets mentioned is a PATB-1 Parallel Axis Trembucker. I have one in a alder body Floyd guitar and it works great. May not be quite as high output as a JB, but I don't really see how high output pickups have much of a place in the modern gear world.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
        however, when you get a magical JB (i had one in a white import firebird that i sold), it's a special thing.

sully
        I have one, a TB-4, in my HM Strat. That particular pickup in that exact guitar, is one of those combos that I just can't seem to get with any other pickup or any other guitar. I've run several different Dimarzio and Duncans through that guitar, including another TB-4 that I have, and there is just something about the two together that just sounds perfect.

Personally, I've never had any problem with various JB's, but some definitely seem to sound better than others.

Comment

Dimarzio X2N

Comment

the x2n is hotter, yes, but i think that the original poster wanted something that also sounded good. ZINGGGGGGGG!

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

My take

This whole pickup debate is as old as the hills....and as someone else said....USELESS!

Too many factors come into play in the end result of the sound out of the speakers.

The big 5 for me, in order of importance are:

1) AMP (and speakers)
              2) Effects (or lack of)
              3) YOUR EARS and what YOU want to hear
              4) Guitar wood/quality of guitar build
              5) Pickup

At the end of it all it's so subjective that it's impossible to say what YOU will like.

To me the pickup has the least to do with it all....bottom of the sound chain.

Your mileage will probably vary!

P.S. I personally love the JB with MY rig and my ears.... I've only had one anomaly (among 150 or more guitars) where it didn't sound good in a particular guitar...that guitar is long gone too!
              Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 09-14-2009, 09:51 PM.
              Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                Anyone ever use a BK Nailbomb? I was listening to some clips and -Wow!
                The Nailbomb is nothing like a JB the Holy Diver is dead on JB just fuller with a sweeter sounding top end.
                Also the BK Painkiller sounds very similar to a Gibson Dirty Fingers(old not new).

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                  in a previous pickup thread, zeegs suggested that it might be nice hearing some downtuned stuff. So....here's a little demo I just recorded for you.

sully
                  That pup roars! You just sold me on the Duncan Custom. I recently picked up a TB4 and love the tone, but I'll have to get a custom now too.

Comment

Glad I could help. Enjoy!

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Seymour Duncan SH-10 Full Shred. (dont let the description scare you!)

Full Shred™ SH-10 and TB-10
                      High output tone for heavy rhythms and speed riffs. Used for classic rock, heavy rock, hip hop, fusion and aggressive solo playing. Gives tonal control in high-gain situation. Less aggressive than an SH-6 Distortion. More articulate than an SH-5 Custom. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable.

Comment

Working...
                      X