Duncan TripleShot review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    I thought parallel meant you get a thinner sound, closer to a single coil, but without the 60-cycle hum.
    That's also my understanding. The coils are still reverse polarity so they cancel hum - like a 2 & 4 position on a strat with RWRP middle pickup.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Damn it! Now i gotta spring for the 81T (or 81TW, i dont remember what its called) and the 89, but everyone here is ABSOLUTLEY sure they will work? Also has anyone tried them? Do they sound like the 81 85 combo? Because i could not LIVE without my 85 in the neck, ALL of my solos use that...
      I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

From what i just read, the 81TW does not sound like a normal 81, so i guess i will just have to live without a triple shot, unless(!!!) do you think it would work with a blackout? especially since it is BY SD?
        Last edited by Jacksonguy666; 06-12-2009, 03:40 PM. Reason: haha, i wrote shit instead of shot :)
        I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          I thought parallel meant you get a thinner sound, closer to a single coil, but without the 60-cycle hum.
          Really? Must be a grounding issue on my part then, because I've definitely got more noise when in Parallel. I've got a tad more volume, but the extra noise is definitely there.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
            From what i just read, the 81TW does not sound like a normal 81, so i guess i will just have to live without a triple shot, unless(!!!) do you think it would work with a blackout? especially since it is BY SD?

No, the Blackout doesn't have 4-conductor wiring. It's like an EMG 81 - ground, signal, battery. That's it. You can't get split/parallel options without those extra leads. The most you can get is phase reversal between two pickups, and that can be done with a simple mini-toggle/push-pull.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Weird. Must be a grounding issue. I've got a Fender Double Fat Strat with five-way switch, and position two is the inner coils on together with no hum whatsoever. When I switch to position four, I get the hum since it's the top/outer coil of the neck humbucker by itself. I also had a 7-string Ibanez that was similar and didn't get any hum.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, I am using the original/defective switches, and they're wired together to get all the options, so I'm probably getting something like Split+Series or Split+Parallel.

I'm changing the switches out this weekend though, so that problem won't be an issue.

I do recommend these things, though. They're a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                X